A Sea of Plastic Off Spain's Coast (#2906)
Spain: Waste in the Mediterranean - The Mediterranean Sea is increasingly becoming a garbage dump. Plastic waste poses a deadly threat to many marine creatures. Attempts to dam the flow of plastic waste have been half-hearted, to say the least. 500 metric tons of plastic waste are floating around the coastlines of the Mediterranean. And when fish digest tiny particles of plastic, the problem winds up on our dinner plates.
Great Britain: London's Libyan Exile Community - Many of Libya's wealthy and elite travel to London for work and studies--and many oppose leader Muammar Gadaffi's regime, too. Since the unrest in their homeland began, they have gathered in front of the Libyan embassy to protest the Gadaffi regime. But they are also raising their voices against what they say is inaction by Europe.
France: The rapper and integration - France's immigrant community is under great political pressure. Rapper l'Artiste is calling on his countrymen to take their destiny into their own hands.
Sweden: The Crisis of the Social Democrats. The murder of Prime Minister Olof Palme 25 years ago left deep wounds in Sweden's national psyche. And now, the country could really use a charismatic politician like him.
Russia: Samara in the dark - The Russian President, Dimitry Medvedev, has done away with winter time. Last year, he cut the number of times zones in Russia from 11 to 9, causing protests in central and far eastern Russia. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
There are no broadcasts currently planned. Please check back for future broadcast dates.
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Us Installing Missiles In Romania (#3239)
- Pope Francis Kicks Mafia Out (#3238)
- Scottish Independence: Yes Or No? (#3237)
- France: Jihadist Fighters Increasing (#3236)
- Deadly Danger: Looming Tsunami In Norwa (#3235)
- Joint Border Patrols: Decreasing Criminal Activity (#3234)
- Greece: Suicide Crisis and Depression (#3233)
- Backlash of Gaza Fighting Increase Fears In France (#3232)
- Episode #3231
- Prudery In Putinland: Latest In Russian Censorship Laws (#3230)
- Dreaming of Kurdistan (#3229)
- Millions of Wasted Funds Down The Drain In Eu Projects (#3228)
- Ukraine: City of Lviv Becomes Role Model (#3227)
- Crimea: Dependent On Deceptive Dreams (#3226)
- Turkey: Thousands of Missing Children (#3225)
- Palatial Palace In Poland: Treatment for Depression (#3224)
- The Russian Loyalists In Latvia (#3223)
- Plastic, Catch of the Day - In Today's Oceans (#3222)