A Sea of Plastic Off Spain's Coast (#2906)
Spain: Waste in the Mediterranean - The Mediterranean Sea is increasingly becoming a garbage dump. Plastic waste poses a deadly threat to many marine creatures. Attempts to dam the flow of plastic waste have been half-hearted, to say the least. 500 metric tons of plastic waste are floating around the coastlines of the Mediterranean. And when fish digest tiny particles of plastic, the problem winds up on our dinner plates.
Great Britain: London's Libyan Exile Community - Many of Libya's wealthy and elite travel to London for work and studies--and many oppose leader Muammar Gadaffi's regime, too. Since the unrest in their homeland began, they have gathered in front of the Libyan embassy to protest the Gadaffi regime. But they are also raising their voices against what they say is inaction by Europe.
France: The rapper and integration - France's immigrant community is under great political pressure. Rapper l'Artiste is calling on his countrymen to take their destiny into their own hands.
Sweden: The Crisis of the Social Democrats. The murder of Prime Minister Olof Palme 25 years ago left deep wounds in Sweden's national psyche. And now, the country could really use a charismatic politician like him.
Russia: Samara in the dark - The Russian President, Dimitry Medvedev, has done away with winter time. Last year, he cut the number of times zones in Russia from 11 to 9, causing protests in central and far eastern Russia. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
Austria/Germany: Tolls Create Traffic Jams - Germany's planned toll on foreign transport trucks promises to bring the country million of euros. But in Austria the move is causing anger because... [26 minutes]
- Sat, December 28, 5:00 PM on IPTV World
- Sat, December 28, 8:30 PM on IPTV World
- Sun, December 29, 2:30 AM on IPTV
- Sun, December 29, 7:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sun, December 29, 12:00 PM on IPTV World
- Sun, December 29, 3:30 PM on IPTV World
- Mon, December 30, 12:00 AM on IPTV World
- Mon, December 30, 5:00 AM on IPTV
- Tue, December 31, 6:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sat, January 4, 8:30 PM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 5, 7:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 5, 3:30 PM on IPTV World
- Tue, January 7, 6:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sat, January 11, 8:30 PM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 12, 7:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 12, 3:30 PM on IPTV World
- Tue, January 14, 6:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sat, January 18, 8:30 PM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 19, 7:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 19, 3:30 PM on IPTV World
- Tue, January 21, 6:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sat, January 25, 8:30 PM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 26, 7:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 26, 3:30 PM on IPTV World
- Tue, January 28, 6:30 AM on IPTV World
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Is The Celtic Lion Roaring Or Snoring? (#3150)
- Italy: Fighting The Mafia with Mozzarella (#3149)
- Un Calls for End of Racist Santa Spectacle (#3148)
- Greedy for Greenland's Resources (#3147)
- National Sport: Subway Fare-Dodging (#3146)
- Fanning Flames On London's Overheated Housing (#3145)
- Russia's Richest Billionaire Putin Denies Wealth (#3144)
- Europe's Largest Man-Made Nature Reserve (#3143)
- Episode #3142
- Gambling Priests Bankrupt Archdiocese (#3141)
- Unemployment: Waiting for Elders to Retire (#3140)
- Merkel's Greatest Victory (#3139)
- Discovery of a Subterranean Hideout from the Nazis (#3138)
- Gibraltar: Row Over The Rock (#3137)
- Village of thieves: evidence burning of Picasso, Monet and Matisse Artwork (#3136)
- Russia's Controversial Figurehead: From Prison To Moscow Mayor? (#3135)
- Bargain Prices for Castles In Ireland (#3134)
- Episode #3133
- Greece's million refugees are considered undesirables (#3132)
- Air Conditioning for a Glacier (#3131)