France Holding Firm On Nuclear Power (#2909)
Poland: Fear of Hooligans - Next year, the Euro 2012 soccer championships will be held in Poland and Ukraine. Security forces are already worried about hooligans, who are considered especially brutal in Poland.
Britain: University in Disrepute - The director of the world-famous London School of Economics has had to step down. The university accepted a large donation from Colonel Muammar Gaddafi's son, Saif al-Islam.
The Netherlands: Integration under Supervision - Ten years ago, Rotterdam's immigrant district Charlois was considered a no-go area. Gangs of youths terrorized the residents. Now the young people and their families are under strict supervision.
Turkey: The Wrong Suleiman - The Turks are rehabilitating the Ottoman era. A television series about Suleiman the Magnificent is especially successful. But the erotic scenes in the harem have provoked criticism. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Dreaming of Kurdistan (#3229)
- Millions of Wasted Funds Down The Drain In Eu Projects (#3228)
- Ukraine: City of Lviv Becomes Role Model (#3227)
- Crimea: Dependent On Deceptive Dreams (#3226)
- Turkey: Thousands of Missing Children (#3225)
- Palatial Palace In Poland: Treatment for Depression (#3224)
- The Russian Loyalists In Latvia (#3223)
- Plastic, Catch of the Day - In Today's Oceans (#3222)
- Ukraine Elections: A New President (#3221)
- Episode #3220
- Episode #3219
- Episode #3218
- Who Will Grab The Exhibiting Crimean Gold? (#3217)
- Moldova: Next Tug-Of-War Between Russian and Eu? (#3216)
- Living In Estonia and Longing for Russia (#3215)
- World's Oldest Bank On Brink of Collapse (#3214)
- Russians Invest Millions In Austria (#3213)
- Putin's Power Play In Russia (#3212)
- Episode #3211
- Ukraine: Tug-Of-War In Crimea (#3210)
- Overthrow In Ukraine, Enormous Problems Ahead (#3209)