France Holding Firm On Nuclear Power (#2909)
Poland: Fear of Hooligans - Next year, the Euro 2012 soccer championships will be held in Poland and Ukraine. Security forces are already worried about hooligans, who are considered especially brutal in Poland.
Britain: University in Disrepute - The director of the world-famous London School of Economics has had to step down. The university accepted a large donation from Colonel Muammar Gaddafi's son, Saif al-Islam.
The Netherlands: Integration under Supervision - Ten years ago, Rotterdam's immigrant district Charlois was considered a no-go area. Gangs of youths terrorized the residents. Now the young people and their families are under strict supervision.
Turkey: The Wrong Suleiman - The Turks are rehabilitating the Ottoman era. A television series about Suleiman the Magnificent is especially successful. But the erotic scenes in the harem have provoked criticism. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
- Indicates a December Celebration program
Turkey: Trials against the State - Crimes committed by the state in the 1990s are only now going to trial in Turkey. Relatives of the victims are hoping for justice. But time is running out: the... [26 minutes]
- Sat, December 7, 12:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sat, December 28, 5:00 PM on IPTV World
- Sat, December 28, 8:30 PM on IPTV World
- Sun, December 29, 2:30 AM on IPTV
- Sun, December 29, 7:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sun, December 29, 12:00 PM on IPTV World
- Sun, December 29, 3:30 PM on IPTV World
- Mon, December 30, 12:00 AM on IPTV World
- Mon, December 30, 5:00 AM on IPTV
- Tue, December 31, 6:30 AM on IPTV World
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Un Calls for End of Racist Santa Spectacle (#3148)
- Greedy for Greenland's Resources (#3147)
- National Sport: Subway Fare-Dodging (#3146)
- Fanning Flames On London's Overheated Housing (#3145)
- Russia's Richest Billionaire Putin Denies Wealth (#3144)
- Europe's Largest Man-Made Nature Reserve (#3143)
- Episode #3142
- Gambling Priests Bankrupt Archdiocese (#3141)
- Unemployment: Waiting for Elders to Retire (#3140)
- Merkel's Greatest Victory (#3139)
- Discovery of a Subterranean Hideout from the Nazis (#3138)
- Gibraltar: Row Over The Rock (#3137)
- Village of thieves: evidence burning of Picasso, Monet and Matisse Artwork (#3136)
- Russia's Controversial Figurehead: From Prison To Moscow Mayor? (#3135)
- Bargain Prices for Castles In Ireland (#3134)
- Episode #3133
- Greece's million refugees are considered undesirables (#3132)
- Air Conditioning for a Glacier (#3131)