Chernobyl 25 Years Later (#2913)
France and Italy: The Future of Schengen in the Balance - France and Italy are embroiled in a dispute about the future of thousands of refugees from northern Africa. Rome has issued them with temporary residence permits, but Paris has closed its border to trains carrying refugees.
Austria: Begging is Banned - Beggars are persona non grata in Austria. After a ban on panhandling in Vienna and Salzburg, now Styria has also issued a general ban, prompting a debate about discrimination and hypocrisy.
Russia: The Ghost Town - The first total meltdown in history: Chernobyl, 26th April 1986 After the nuclear catastrophe at Chernobyl 25 years ago, a number of major nuclear projects in Russia were cancelled. In Chistye Bory, some 300 kilometers east of Moscow, a planned nuclear power plant also remains unfinished.
Norway: No Drilling for Oil off the Lofoten Islands. - The explosion on the "Deepwater Horizon" oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico last year caused an environmental disaster. Now Norway has drawn its own conclusions about what happened.
Germany: Tackling Truancy - With its Europe 2020 strategy, the European Commission aims to improve Europe's competiveness. As part of the project, member states are being asked to address the problem of truancy. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
Series Launch: Secret Heroes - Part 1: Hungary: A Loophole to Freedom - The beginning of the end of the Soviet Bloc came 25 years ago in Hungary. One million East Germans had arrived there and put... [26 minutes]
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Ukraine: City of Lviv Becomes Role Model (#3227)
- Crimea: Dependent On Deceptive Dreams (#3226)
- Turkey: Thousands of Missing Children (#3225)
- Palatial Palace In Poland: Treatment for Depression (#3224)
- The Russian Loyalists In Latvia (#3223)
- Plastic, Catch of the Day - In Today's Oceans (#3222)
- Ukraine Elections: A New President (#3221)
- Episode #3220
- Episode #3219
- Episode #3218
- Who Will Grab The Exhibiting Crimean Gold? (#3217)
- Moldova: Next Tug-Of-War Between Russian and Eu? (#3216)
- Living In Estonia and Longing for Russia (#3215)
- World's Oldest Bank On Brink of Collapse (#3214)
- Russians Invest Millions In Austria (#3213)
- Putin's Power Play In Russia (#3212)
- Episode #3211
- Ukraine: Tug-Of-War In Crimea (#3210)
- Overthrow In Ukraine, Enormous Problems Ahead (#3209)