Chernobyl 25 Years Later (#2913)
France and Italy: The Future of Schengen in the Balance - France and Italy are embroiled in a dispute about the future of thousands of refugees from northern Africa. Rome has issued them with temporary residence permits, but Paris has closed its border to trains carrying refugees.
Austria: Begging is Banned - Beggars are persona non grata in Austria. After a ban on panhandling in Vienna and Salzburg, now Styria has also issued a general ban, prompting a debate about discrimination and hypocrisy.
Russia: The Ghost Town - The first total meltdown in history: Chernobyl, 26th April 1986 After the nuclear catastrophe at Chernobyl 25 years ago, a number of major nuclear projects in Russia were cancelled. In Chistye Bory, some 300 kilometers east of Moscow, a planned nuclear power plant also remains unfinished.
Norway: No Drilling for Oil off the Lofoten Islands. - The explosion on the "Deepwater Horizon" oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico last year caused an environmental disaster. Now Norway has drawn its own conclusions about what happened.
Germany: Tackling Truancy - With its Europe 2020 strategy, the European Commission aims to improve Europe's competiveness. As part of the project, member states are being asked to address the problem of truancy. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
- Sat, December 28, 5:00 PM on IPTV World
- Sat, December 28, 8:30 PM on IPTV World
- Sun, December 29, 2:30 AM on IPTV
- Sun, December 29, 7:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sun, December 29, 12:00 PM on IPTV World
- Sun, December 29, 3:30 PM on IPTV World
- Mon, December 30, 12:00 AM on IPTV World
- Mon, December 30, 5:00 AM on IPTV
- Tue, December 31, 6:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sat, January 4, 8:30 PM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 5, 7:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 5, 3:30 PM on IPTV World
- Tue, January 7, 6:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sat, January 11, 8:30 PM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 12, 7:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 12, 3:30 PM on IPTV World
- Tue, January 14, 6:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sat, January 18, 8:30 PM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 19, 7:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 19, 3:30 PM on IPTV World
- Tue, January 21, 6:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sat, January 25, 8:30 PM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 26, 7:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 26, 3:30 PM on IPTV World
- Tue, January 28, 6:30 AM on IPTV World
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Italy: Fighting The Mafia with Mozzarella (#3149)
- Un Calls for End of Racist Santa Spectacle (#3148)
- Greedy for Greenland's Resources (#3147)
- National Sport: Subway Fare-Dodging (#3146)
- Fanning Flames On London's Overheated Housing (#3145)
- Russia's Richest Billionaire Putin Denies Wealth (#3144)
- Europe's Largest Man-Made Nature Reserve (#3143)
- Episode #3142
- Gambling Priests Bankrupt Archdiocese (#3141)
- Unemployment: Waiting for Elders to Retire (#3140)
- Merkel's Greatest Victory (#3139)
- Discovery of a Subterranean Hideout from the Nazis (#3138)
- Gibraltar: Row Over The Rock (#3137)
- Village of thieves: evidence burning of Picasso, Monet and Matisse Artwork (#3136)
- Russia's Controversial Figurehead: From Prison To Moscow Mayor? (#3135)
- Bargain Prices for Castles In Ireland (#3134)
- Episode #3133
- Greece's million refugees are considered undesirables (#3132)
- Air Conditioning for a Glacier (#3131)