Denmark's "Hippie" State Comes to An End (#2915)
Albania/Macedonia: Natural Heritage Under Threat - One of the oldest lakes in Europe straddles Albania, Macedonia and Greece and is home to a unique eco-system that's increasingly under threat.
Denmark: Christiania - The "Normal" Neighborhood - After four decades, an experiment in alternative lifestyle is coming to an end. Earlier this year, Denmark's supreme court ruled that Copenhagen's "free city" of Christiania belongs to the state. The inhabitants of the "Free State of Christiania" now have to make a choice: either they buy their properties or they abandon the legendary hippie republic.
Czech Republic: Moving On - On May 1 the German labor market opened up to workers from eight Central and Eastern European EU states. Especially doctors are expected to migrate in large numbers.
Italy: Addio Palermo - The mafia has moved on from its Sicilian and southern Italian roots. The criminal syndicates have moved their operations into the country's prosperous north as well.
Ukraine: Racism in the Stadium - The 2012 UEFA European Football Championships are set to take place in Poland and Ukraine, but before that can happen, it's not only the stadiums that need to prepare. The fans also need to get their act together. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Joint Border Patrols: Decreasing Criminal Activity (#3234)
- Greece: Suicide Crisis and Depression (#3233)
- Backlash of Gaza Fighting Increase Fears In France (#3232)
- Episode #3231
- Prudery In Putinland: Latest In Russian Censorship Laws (#3230)
- Dreaming of Kurdistan (#3229)
- Millions of Wasted Funds Down The Drain In Eu Projects (#3228)
- Ukraine: City of Lviv Becomes Role Model (#3227)
- Crimea: Dependent On Deceptive Dreams (#3226)
- Turkey: Thousands of Missing Children (#3225)
- Palatial Palace In Poland: Treatment for Depression (#3224)
- The Russian Loyalists In Latvia (#3223)
- Plastic, Catch of the Day - In Today's Oceans (#3222)
- Ukraine Elections: A New President (#3221)
- Episode #3220
- Episode #3219
- Episode #3218
- Who Will Grab The Exhibiting Crimean Gold? (#3217)
- Moldova: Next Tug-Of-War Between Russian and Eu? (#3216)
- Living In Estonia and Longing for Russia (#3215)
- World's Oldest Bank On Brink of Collapse (#3214)
- Russians Invest Millions In Austria (#3213)