The Fight for An Old Dictator's Villa (#2922)
Spain: The Fight for Franco's Villa - Since March, the summer residence of 20th century dictator Francisco Franco has been open to the public. Civil rights activists are now calling on Franco's family to hand the building over to the state.
Poland: Dispute over Silesian Minority - An old debate is stirred again as Silesians question their national heritage. Rightwing conservatives in Poland feel national unity is threatened, minorities feel discriminated against.
Germany/Italy: Courts Halt Deportations - German courts are increasingly refusing to deport refugees to Italy, citing unacceptable conditions that don't meet EU standards.
Czech Republic: Art as Collateral - The Czech Republic is recalling loaned art as quickly as possible, after a Vienna court confiscated two paintings and a bronze as security in a legal battle.
Bulgaria: The Ultimate Student Party - Bulgaria is the poorest country in the European Union. Most families have to be very careful with their money. But when youngsters graduate from high school, no expense is spared. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Episode #3238
- Scottish Independence: Yes Or No? (#3237)
- France: Jihadist Fighters Increasing (#3236)
- Deadly Danger: Looming Tsunami In Norwa (#3235)
- Joint Border Patrols: Decreasing Criminal Activity (#3234)
- Greece: Suicide Crisis and Depression (#3233)
- Backlash of Gaza Fighting Increase Fears In France (#3232)
- Episode #3231
- Prudery In Putinland: Latest In Russian Censorship Laws (#3230)
- Dreaming of Kurdistan (#3229)
- Millions of Wasted Funds Down The Drain In Eu Projects (#3228)
- Ukraine: City of Lviv Becomes Role Model (#3227)
- Crimea: Dependent On Deceptive Dreams (#3226)
- Turkey: Thousands of Missing Children (#3225)
- Palatial Palace In Poland: Treatment for Depression (#3224)
- The Russian Loyalists In Latvia (#3223)
- Plastic, Catch of the Day - In Today's Oceans (#3222)
- Ukraine Elections: A New President (#3221)
- Episode #3220
- Episode #3219
- Episode #3218