Latvia: Save and Work Two years ago, Latvians were facing the same sort of financial meltdown as the Greeks are facing now. They had to swallow massive cuts in public spending, but they're finally starting to pay off.
Hungary: Plucked Alive Plucking living geese is cruelty to animals and is banned in the European Union. But not all geese farmers abide by the rules.
Switzerland: Automatic Expulsion of Foreigners The Swiss are tightening their laws on foreigners. Convicted criminals will have to leave. But even relatively minor offenses like breaking and entering or welfare fraud will suffice to forfeit a residence visa.
Great Britain: Conversion in the Anglican Church At the start of 2011 three Anglican bishops converted to Catholicism. They were unsatisfied with their church which allows both women and homosexuals to become priests and is soon to allow women to become bishops.
Greece: Tourism is the Last Hope With Greece's finances in a state of turmoil and the country's citizens in a semi-permanent state of protest, the country's only hope is tourism. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Dreaming of Kurdistan (#3229)
- Millions of Wasted Funds Down The Drain In Eu Projects (#3228)
- Ukraine: City of Lviv Becomes Role Model (#3227)
- Crimea: Dependent On Deceptive Dreams (#3226)
- Turkey: Thousands of Missing Children (#3225)
- Palatial Palace In Poland: Treatment for Depression (#3224)
- The Russian Loyalists In Latvia (#3223)
- Plastic, Catch of the Day - In Today's Oceans (#3222)
- Ukraine Elections: A New President (#3221)
- Episode #3220
- Episode #3219
- Episode #3218
- Who Will Grab The Exhibiting Crimean Gold? (#3217)
- Moldova: Next Tug-Of-War Between Russian and Eu? (#3216)
- Living In Estonia and Longing for Russia (#3215)
- World's Oldest Bank On Brink of Collapse (#3214)
- Russians Invest Millions In Austria (#3213)
- Putin's Power Play In Russia (#3212)
- Episode #3211
- Ukraine: Tug-Of-War In Crimea (#3210)
- Overthrow In Ukraine, Enormous Problems Ahead (#3209)