Shaking Up The British School System (#2925)
Czech Republic: Pregnancies via Egg Donations - Strictly prohibited in Germany, pregnancies via egg donation are allowed in the neighboring Czech Republic. For many couples, who might not otherwise be able to become pregnant, this procedure is often a last resort to have children.
Britain: Parents found their own schools - Conservative prime minister David Cameron wants to slash public spending. He also wants to restructure education. The British government is encouraging parents, teachers, charities and businesses to set up their own schools.
Turkey: Anatolian Tigers - Anatolia was long regarded as a backwater. Entrepreneurs are now changing this image and are starting to exert political influence.
Hungary: Sex for sale at bargain-basement prices - Nowhere in Europe are prostitutes paid as little as in Hungary. And the government has cancelled funding for programs helping them leave the profession. ** Belgium: Savoring decay - 'Urban Explorers' see Belgium as a land of ruins and come from all over the world to photograph dilapidated and abandoned buildings [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
- Sat, May 31, 8:30 PM on IPTV World
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Moldova: Next Tug-Of-War Between Russian and Eu? (#3216)
- Living In Estonia and Longing for Russia (#3215)
- World's Oldest Bank On Brink of Collapse (#3214)
- Russians Invest Millions In Austria (#3213)
- Putin's Power Play In Russia (#3212)
- Episode #3211
- Ukraine: Tug-Of-War In Crimea (#3210)
- Overthrow In Ukraine, Enormous Problems Ahead (#3209)
- Uprising of the Unemployed (#3208)
- Ukraine: Protestors' Right to Rise Up (#3207)
- Russia: Scorched Earth (#3206)
- Ukraine: Rich Remain Ruling Party (#3205)
- Episode #3204
- Belgium: Assisted Suicide for Minors? (#3203)
- Episode #3202
- Special: 10th Anniversary of Eastern EU Enlargement (#3201)
- Belgium: Manager with a Big Heart (#3152)
- Decommissioning Atomic Subs In Russia (#3151)
- Is The Celtic Lion Roaring Or Snoring? (#3150)
- Italy: Fighting The Mafia with Mozzarella (#3149)
- Un Calls for End of Racist Santa Spectacle (#3148)