Driving Away Tourists with a Strong Swiss Currency (#2931)
Switzerland: The Curse of the Strong Swiss Franc: The strong Swiss Franc is taking its toll on the Swiss tourism industry. But at least Chinese visitors are still spending.
Italy: Sentenced In Absentia: A military tribunal in Verona recently handed down life sentences to former German Wehrmacht soldiers in absentia. The men were charged with killing hundreds of civilians during the Second World War. It's a symbolic sentence seen as compensation to the victims' families.
Czech Republic: The Russians in Karlovy Vary: Designer boutiques and jewelry stores vie for buyers in Cyrillic script and the main language heard among the crowds thronging the promenade is Russian. Locals fear their scenic resort town has sold out.
Poland: The Shale Gas Controversy: Poland has handed out the first permits for test drilling for shale gas - even though its extraction is highly controversial.
Series: "Local Life - Communities around Europe": Episode 6: Germany/Lette - Wanted: Country Doctor [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
- Indicates a Festival program - full Festival schedule »
Ukraine: Tug-Of-War In Crimea (#3210)
Ukraine: Tug-of-war in Crimea - In Ukraine and Crimea, fear is growing that the country may soon be divided. The Crimean Tatars are particularly concerned about the prospect of the peninsula... [26 minutes]
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Ukraine: Tug-Of-War In Crimea (#3210)
- Overthrow In Ukraine, Enormous Problems Ahead (#3209)
- Uprising of the Unemployed (#3208)
- Ukraine: Protestors' Right to Rise Up (#3207)
- Russia: Scorched Earth (#3206)
- Ukraine: Rich Remain Ruling Party (#3205)
- Episode #3204
- Belgium: Assisted Suicide for Minors? (#3203)
- Episode #3202
- Special: 10th Anniversary of Eastern EU Enlargement (#3201)
- Belgium: Manager with a Big Heart (#3152)
- Decommissioning Atomic Subs In Russia (#3151)
- Is The Celtic Lion Roaring Or Snoring? (#3150)
- Italy: Fighting The Mafia with Mozzarella (#3149)
- Un Calls for End of Racist Santa Spectacle (#3148)
- Greedy for Greenland's Resources (#3147)
- National Sport: Subway Fare-Dodging (#3146)
- Fanning Flames On London's Overheated Housing (#3145)
- Russia's Richest Billionaire Putin Denies Wealth (#3144)