Driving Away Tourists with a Strong Swiss Currency (#2931)
Switzerland: The Curse of the Strong Swiss Franc: The strong Swiss Franc is taking its toll on the Swiss tourism industry. But at least Chinese visitors are still spending.
Italy: Sentenced In Absentia: A military tribunal in Verona recently handed down life sentences to former German Wehrmacht soldiers in absentia. The men were charged with killing hundreds of civilians during the Second World War. It's a symbolic sentence seen as compensation to the victims' families.
Czech Republic: The Russians in Karlovy Vary: Designer boutiques and jewelry stores vie for buyers in Cyrillic script and the main language heard among the crowds thronging the promenade is Russian. Locals fear their scenic resort town has sold out.
Poland: The Shale Gas Controversy: Poland has handed out the first permits for test drilling for shale gas - even though its extraction is highly controversial.
Series: "Local Life - Communities around Europe": Episode 6: Germany/Lette - Wanted: Country Doctor [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
Dreaming of Kurdistan (#3229)
- Tue, July 22, 6:30 AM on IPTV World
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Dreaming of Kurdistan (#3229)
- Millions of Wasted Funds Down The Drain In Eu Projects (#3228)
- Ukraine: City of Lviv Becomes Role Model (#3227)
- Crimea: Dependent On Deceptive Dreams (#3226)
- Turkey: Thousands of Missing Children (#3225)
- Palatial Palace In Poland: Treatment for Depression (#3224)
- The Russian Loyalists In Latvia (#3223)
- Plastic, Catch of the Day - In Today's Oceans (#3222)
- Ukraine Elections: A New President (#3221)
- Episode #3220
- Episode #3219
- Episode #3218
- Who Will Grab The Exhibiting Crimean Gold? (#3217)
- Moldova: Next Tug-Of-War Between Russian and Eu? (#3216)
- Living In Estonia and Longing for Russia (#3215)
- World's Oldest Bank On Brink of Collapse (#3214)
- Russians Invest Millions In Austria (#3213)
- Putin's Power Play In Russia (#3212)
- Episode #3211
- Ukraine: Tug-Of-War In Crimea (#3210)
- Overthrow In Ukraine, Enormous Problems Ahead (#3209)