Driving Away Tourists with a Strong Swiss Currency (#2931)
Switzerland: The Curse of the Strong Swiss Franc: The strong Swiss Franc is taking its toll on the Swiss tourism industry. But at least Chinese visitors are still spending.
Italy: Sentenced In Absentia: A military tribunal in Verona recently handed down life sentences to former German Wehrmacht soldiers in absentia. The men were charged with killing hundreds of civilians during the Second World War. It's a symbolic sentence seen as compensation to the victims' families.
Czech Republic: The Russians in Karlovy Vary: Designer boutiques and jewelry stores vie for buyers in Cyrillic script and the main language heard among the crowds thronging the promenade is Russian. Locals fear their scenic resort town has sold out.
Poland: The Shale Gas Controversy: Poland has handed out the first permits for test drilling for shale gas - even though its extraction is highly controversial.
Series: "Local Life - Communities around Europe": Episode 6: Germany/Lette - Wanted: Country Doctor [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
Hungary: The Rise in Anti-Semitism - Hungary is home to the third largest Jewish population in Europe. That community is feeling increasingly under threat, as anti-Semitic discourse enters the... [26 minutes]
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- The Nanny Orphans of Romania (#3120)
- A Shortage of Physicians Costing Lives In Poland (#3119)
- Unwelcome Species Invading Europe (#3118)
- Holding Fido Hostage (#3117)
- Putting a military tank in your garage - A Ukrainian phenomenon (#3116)
- France - Where Working Moms Are Welcome (#3115)
- Episode #3114
- Women Living As Men - An Ancient Albanian Custom (#3113)
- Russia's Dashboard Cameras - A Legal Necessity (#3112)
- Old Spy Habits Die Hard In Romania (#3111)
- A Political Outsider Rises to the Top In Italy (#3110)
- A Question of Faith In Spain (#3109)
- The Swiss Vote On Limiting Corporate Salaries (#3108)
- Russian Orphanages On Trial (#3107)
- Watching for Islamic Backlash In France (#3106)
- A Tale of One City (#3105)
- Episode #3104
- Overcrowding forces a massive pardon in the Czech Republic (#3103)
- Germany's Bounty of Green Energy Overloads The Power Grid (#3102)
- Greece's Refugees Want to Go Home (#3101)
- Episode #3052