How a New York chambermaid sparked a new fight against sexism in France (#2934)
France: The Battle against Sexism - The nonchalance shown by both politicians and the media in the recent Dominique Strauss-Kahn case has left many women in France incensed. There are now growing calls for a renewed fight against sexism. The stereotype of sophisticated and suave French romance has come under scrutiny due to recent developments. There are a growing number of sexual harassment complaints there.
Czech Republic: Cross-Border War on Bark Beetles - Bark Beetles in the forests straddling the Czech-Austrian border have sparked a political argument. The Austrians want to see decisive action taken to counter the plague of pests.
Turkey/Germany: Vexed Visa Applicants - Germany's rigid visa-issuing policy is frustrating for many Turks. One in four applications from the poorer Anatolia region is now rejected.
Norway: Responding to the Terrorist Attacks - Norwegians appear to be satisfied with the way the Labour government responded to July's terrorist attacks in Oslo and the island of Utoya. That is, if the results from recent local elections are anything to go by--the first test of public opinion since the events.
Britain: Taking Inspiration from Nature - Tweed has long been considered conservative and nerdy. But the woolen fabric now appears to be trendy again and weavers on Scotland's Hebrides islands have their hands full. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
- Sat, May 31, 8:30 PM on IPTV World
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Living In Estonia and Longing for Russia (#3215)
- World's Oldest Bank On Brink of Collapse (#3214)
- Russians Invest Millions In Austria (#3213)
- Putin's Power Play In Russia (#3212)
- Episode #3211
- Ukraine: Tug-Of-War In Crimea (#3210)
- Overthrow In Ukraine, Enormous Problems Ahead (#3209)
- Uprising of the Unemployed (#3208)
- Ukraine: Protestors' Right to Rise Up (#3207)
- Russia: Scorched Earth (#3206)
- Ukraine: Rich Remain Ruling Party (#3205)
- Episode #3204
- Belgium: Assisted Suicide for Minors? (#3203)
- Episode #3202
- Special: 10th Anniversary of Eastern EU Enlargement (#3201)
- Belgium: Manager with a Big Heart (#3152)
- Decommissioning Atomic Subs In Russia (#3151)
- Is The Celtic Lion Roaring Or Snoring? (#3150)
- Italy: Fighting The Mafia with Mozzarella (#3149)
- Un Calls for End of Racist Santa Spectacle (#3148)