Spain's Financial Crises Boosting Homelessness (#2935)
Spain: Dire Straits - In Spain, the financial crisis has cost many the roof over their head. Some are now resorting to illegal squatting. The financial crisis has flung many Spaniards into dire straits. Thousands have been made homeless because they can no longer afford their mortgage payments.
Greece: Tax Returns in Trash Bags - Greek Prime Minister Papandreou The Greek government has announced a special property tax to help make up some of its disastrous shortfall. But the tax authorities are not up to the task.
Portugal: Kosher Export Boom - Centuries ago the church and monarchy forced Portuguese Jews to convert religion, but that did not stop them clandestinely practicing their faith.
Lithuania/Belarus: The Difficult Path of Opposition - Vilnius - exile for many Belarusians. For many Belarus opposition activists, Lithuania is an oasis of freedom. After a harrowing escape, journalist Natalya Radzina has requested political asylum in Vilnius.
Italy: A Village Declares Independence - As part of Italy's austerity measures, small villages are being ordered to merge. In protest, the village of Filettino has declared itself a principality. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Ukraine: City of Lviv Becomes Role Model (#3227)
- Crimea: Dependent On Deceptive Dreams (#3226)
- Turkey: Thousands of Missing Children (#3225)
- Palatial Palace In Poland: Treatment for Depression (#3224)
- The Russian Loyalists In Latvia (#3223)
- Plastic, Catch of the Day - In Today's Oceans (#3222)
- Ukraine Elections: A New President (#3221)
- Episode #3220
- Episode #3219
- Episode #3218
- Who Will Grab The Exhibiting Crimean Gold? (#3217)
- Moldova: Next Tug-Of-War Between Russian and Eu? (#3216)
- Living In Estonia and Longing for Russia (#3215)
- World's Oldest Bank On Brink of Collapse (#3214)
- Russians Invest Millions In Austria (#3213)
- Putin's Power Play In Russia (#3212)
- Episode #3211
- Ukraine: Tug-Of-War In Crimea (#3210)
- Overthrow In Ukraine, Enormous Problems Ahead (#3209)