Homelessness on the Rise In Greece (#2937)
Cyprus: Conflict over Oil - Greek Cypriots are drilling for oil off their coast. Turkey regards this as a provocation. The divided island's reunification is further away than ever.
Greece: Homeless and Helpless - Greece's financial situation is deteriorating rapidly. With the economy shrinking, more and more Greeks are in danger of plunging into poverty.
Britain: Expulsion from the Dale Farm - For ten years, Irish "travelers" have camped on the edge of the southern English community of Basildon. Now they are to be expelled. The travelers say this is "ethnic cleansing".
Italy: Shattered Dreams - Many former guest workers from Italy sent their money to their home villages so that their children would have a better life. But the children have no taste for rural life.
The Netherlands/Germany: Shrimp Fishermen in Trouble - North Sea shrimp were once an expensive delicacy. But now oversupply has led to falling prices. Many coastal fishermen with their little cutters are on the verge of bankruptcy. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- The Nanny Orphans of Romania (#3120)
- A Shortage of Physicians Costing Lives In Poland (#3119)
- Unwelcome Species Invading Europe (#3118)
- Holding Fido Hostage (#3117)
- Putting a military tank in your garage - A Ukrainian phenomenon (#3116)
- France - Where Working Moms Are Welcome (#3115)
- Episode #3114
- Women Living As Men - An Ancient Albanian Custom (#3113)
- Russia's Dashboard Cameras - A Legal Necessity (#3112)
- Old Spy Habits Die Hard In Romania (#3111)
- A Political Outsider Rises to the Top In Italy (#3110)
- A Question of Faith In Spain (#3109)
- The Swiss Vote On Limiting Corporate Salaries (#3108)
- Russian Orphanages On Trial (#3107)
- Watching for Islamic Backlash In France (#3106)
- A Tale of One City (#3105)
- Episode #3104
- Overcrowding forces a massive pardon in the Czech Republic (#3103)
- Germany's Bounty of Green Energy Overloads The Power Grid (#3102)
- Greece's Refugees Want to Go Home (#3101)
- Episode #3052