Homelessness on the Rise In Greece (#2937)
Cyprus: Conflict over Oil - Greek Cypriots are drilling for oil off their coast. Turkey regards this as a provocation. The divided island's reunification is further away than ever.
Greece: Homeless and Helpless - Greece's financial situation is deteriorating rapidly. With the economy shrinking, more and more Greeks are in danger of plunging into poverty.
Britain: Expulsion from the Dale Farm - For ten years, Irish "travelers" have camped on the edge of the southern English community of Basildon. Now they are to be expelled. The travelers say this is "ethnic cleansing".
Italy: Shattered Dreams - Many former guest workers from Italy sent their money to their home villages so that their children would have a better life. But the children have no taste for rural life.
The Netherlands/Germany: Shrimp Fishermen in Trouble - North Sea shrimp were once an expensive delicacy. But now oversupply has led to falling prices. Many coastal fishermen with their little cutters are on the verge of bankruptcy. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
Norway: Deadly Danger - More often than not, people associate tsunamis with Japan. But people living around Geirangerfjord in Norway are well aware of their own vulnerability to a huge tidal wave.... [26 minutes]
- Tue, September 2, 6:30 AM on IPTV World
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Deadly Danger: Looming Tsunami In Norwa (#3235)
- Joint Border Patrols: Decreasing Criminal Activity (#3234)
- Greece: Suicide Crisis and Depression (#3233)
- Backlash of Gaza Fighting Increase Fears In France (#3232)
- Episode #3231
- Prudery In Putinland: Latest In Russian Censorship Laws (#3230)
- Dreaming of Kurdistan (#3229)
- Millions of Wasted Funds Down The Drain In Eu Projects (#3228)
- Ukraine: City of Lviv Becomes Role Model (#3227)
- Crimea: Dependent On Deceptive Dreams (#3226)
- Turkey: Thousands of Missing Children (#3225)
- Palatial Palace In Poland: Treatment for Depression (#3224)
- The Russian Loyalists In Latvia (#3223)
- Plastic, Catch of the Day - In Today's Oceans (#3222)
- Ukraine Elections: A New President (#3221)
- Episode #3220
- Episode #3219
- Episode #3218