Ireland's Economy Sees Light at the End of the Tunnel (#2938)
France: Winners and Losers - Their former champion Dominique Strauss-Kahn might be out of the presidential race but the Socialists are looking optimistic about next year's presidential election. Incumbent President Nicolas Sarkozy has just taken a hammering in Senate elections.
Ireland: Light at the End of the Tunnel - A report by the European Commission and the European Central Bank on the progress of the Economic Adjustment Program for Ireland shows that the country's financial fortunes are on the upswing.
Denmark: Return to the EU Fold - After ten years of right-wing rule, Social Democrat Helle Thorning-Schmidt is Denmark's new prime minister and set to steer the country into a new era.
Romania: The Wall - In Baia Mare, Romania, the mayor has erected a two-meter-high concrete wall around Roma housing projects, effectively ghettoizing the community. Residents are outraged.
Britain: Revitalizing Margate - The English seaside resort of Margate has definitely seen better days. But the town is hoping that a new museum for modern art designed by architect David Chipperfield will help put it back on the map. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Greece: Suicide Crisis and Depression (#3233)
- Backlash of Gaza Fighting Increase Fears In France (#3232)
- Episode #3231
- Prudery In Putinland: Latest In Russian Censorship Laws (#3230)
- Dreaming of Kurdistan (#3229)
- Millions of Wasted Funds Down The Drain In Eu Projects (#3228)
- Ukraine: City of Lviv Becomes Role Model (#3227)
- Crimea: Dependent On Deceptive Dreams (#3226)
- Turkey: Thousands of Missing Children (#3225)
- Palatial Palace In Poland: Treatment for Depression (#3224)
- The Russian Loyalists In Latvia (#3223)
- Plastic, Catch of the Day - In Today's Oceans (#3222)
- Ukraine Elections: A New President (#3221)
- Episode #3220
- Episode #3219
- Episode #3218
- Who Will Grab The Exhibiting Crimean Gold? (#3217)
- Moldova: Next Tug-Of-War Between Russian and Eu? (#3216)
- Living In Estonia and Longing for Russia (#3215)
- World's Oldest Bank On Brink of Collapse (#3214)
- Russians Invest Millions In Austria (#3213)