#51 and counting - Berlusconi Survives Another Vote of Confidence
Greece: State of Emergency - Mass protests, general strikes - Greeks have run out of patience. Athens pushed through a tough austerity plan meant to help the country stave off bankruptcy, but the public says the government is demanding too much sacrifice.
Turkey/Germany: 50 Years Later - They left the poverty of Anatolia for Germany's economic miracle. The first Turkish guest workers were recruited half a century ago. Quite a few have now returned to Turkey.
Germany/Belgium: Occupy Europe - Protest movements are forming across Europe, mostly among young people. They have demonstrated in front of the European Central Bank in Frankfurt and at a European Union summit in Brussels.
Italy: Industrialists Attack Berlusconi - Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has just survived his 51st vote of confidence in parliament. But many Italian business leaders do not support him.
Cyprus - Wedding Island - Civil marriages cannot be performed in either Israel or Lebanon. Citizens of these countries wanting to marry outside their faith often travel to Cyprus to wed. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
Norway: Deadly Danger - More often than not, people associate tsunamis with Japan. But people living around Geirangerfjord in Norway are well aware of their own vulnerability to a huge tidal wave.... [26 minutes]
- Tue, September 2, 6:30 AM on IPTV World
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Deadly Danger: Looming Tsunami In Norwa (#3235)
- Joint Border Patrols: Decreasing Criminal Activity (#3234)
- Greece: Suicide Crisis and Depression (#3233)
- Backlash of Gaza Fighting Increase Fears In France (#3232)
- Episode #3231
- Prudery In Putinland: Latest In Russian Censorship Laws (#3230)
- Dreaming of Kurdistan (#3229)
- Millions of Wasted Funds Down The Drain In Eu Projects (#3228)
- Ukraine: City of Lviv Becomes Role Model (#3227)
- Crimea: Dependent On Deceptive Dreams (#3226)
- Turkey: Thousands of Missing Children (#3225)
- Palatial Palace In Poland: Treatment for Depression (#3224)
- The Russian Loyalists In Latvia (#3223)
- Plastic, Catch of the Day - In Today's Oceans (#3222)
- Ukraine Elections: A New President (#3221)
- Episode #3220
- Episode #3219
- Episode #3218