#51 and counting - Berlusconi Survives Another Vote of Confidence
Greece: State of Emergency - Mass protests, general strikes - Greeks have run out of patience. Athens pushed through a tough austerity plan meant to help the country stave off bankruptcy, but the public says the government is demanding too much sacrifice.
Turkey/Germany: 50 Years Later - They left the poverty of Anatolia for Germany's economic miracle. The first Turkish guest workers were recruited half a century ago. Quite a few have now returned to Turkey.
Germany/Belgium: Occupy Europe - Protest movements are forming across Europe, mostly among young people. They have demonstrated in front of the European Central Bank in Frankfurt and at a European Union summit in Brussels.
Italy: Industrialists Attack Berlusconi - Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has just survived his 51st vote of confidence in parliament. But many Italian business leaders do not support him.
Cyprus - Wedding Island - Civil marriages cannot be performed in either Israel or Lebanon. Citizens of these countries wanting to marry outside their faith often travel to Cyprus to wed. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
- Indicates a Festival program - full Festival schedule »
- Sat, March 8, 8:30 AM on IPTV World
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Overthrow In Ukraine, Enormous Problems Ahead (#3209)
- Uprising of the Unemployed (#3208)
- Ukraine: Protestors' Right to Rise Up (#3207)
- Russia: Scorched Earth (#3206)
- Ukraine: Rich Remain Ruling Party (#3205)
- Episode #3204
- Belgium: Assisted Suicide for Minors? (#3203)
- Episode #3202
- Special: 10th Anniversary of Eastern EU Enlargement (#3201)
- Belgium: Manager with a Big Heart (#3152)
- Decommissioning Atomic Subs In Russia (#3151)
- Is The Celtic Lion Roaring Or Snoring? (#3150)
- Italy: Fighting The Mafia with Mozzarella (#3149)
- Un Calls for End of Racist Santa Spectacle (#3148)
- Greedy for Greenland's Resources (#3147)
- National Sport: Subway Fare-Dodging (#3146)
- Fanning Flames On London's Overheated Housing (#3145)
- Russia's Richest Billionaire Putin Denies Wealth (#3144)