Women Seeking Equality in the Mosque In Turkey (#2942)
Bosnia: Permissive Prisons - In Bosnia, war criminals are jailed in the Bosnian-Croat or in the Serb part of the country, depending on their ethnicity. That makes it impossible to ensure that sentences are carried out properly.
Norway: Utoya Today - Utoya was an idyllic vacation island in a lake 40 kilometers from Oslo, the capital. Then came this summer's horrible massacre. Local residents are still traumatized by what they witnessed.
Greece: Extremist Parties Sense a Chance - An emergency coalition of the conservatives and the socialists is set to govern Greece until new elections in February. The rightwing nationalist LAOS Party wants to profit from the crisis.
Germany: The Mediators - The rioters in Britain showed no solidarity with their own neighborhoods, destroying everything equally ruthlessly. In Bremen, parents are now going on nocturnal patrol.
Turkey: Women Want Equality in the Mosque - Up to now in Turkey, women entering mosques had to use side entrances and sit in dimly lit corners in galleries. The institution in Ankara known as the Presidency of Religious Affairs now wants to end this discrimination. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
- Indicates a Festival program - full Festival schedule »
- Sat, March 8, 8:30 AM on IPTV World
Ukraine: Tug-Of-War In Crimea (#3210)
Ukraine: Tug-of-war in Crimea - In Ukraine and Crimea, fear is growing that the country may soon be divided. The Crimean Tatars are particularly concerned about the prospect of the peninsula... [26 minutes]
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Overthrow In Ukraine, Enormous Problems Ahead (#3209)
- Uprising of the Unemployed (#3208)
- Ukraine: Protestors' Right to Rise Up (#3207)
- Russia: Scorched Earth (#3206)
- Ukraine: Rich Remain Ruling Party (#3205)
- Episode #3204
- Belgium: Assisted Suicide for Minors? (#3203)
- Episode #3202
- Special: 10th Anniversary of Eastern EU Enlargement (#3201)
- Belgium: Manager with a Big Heart (#3152)
- Decommissioning Atomic Subs In Russia (#3151)
- Is The Celtic Lion Roaring Or Snoring? (#3150)
- Italy: Fighting The Mafia with Mozzarella (#3149)
- Un Calls for End of Racist Santa Spectacle (#3148)
- Greedy for Greenland's Resources (#3147)
- National Sport: Subway Fare-Dodging (#3146)
- Fanning Flames On London's Overheated Housing (#3145)
- Russia's Richest Billionaire Putin Denies Wealth (#3144)