Women Seeking Equality in the Mosque In Turkey (#2942)
Bosnia: Permissive Prisons - In Bosnia, war criminals are jailed in the Bosnian-Croat or in the Serb part of the country, depending on their ethnicity. That makes it impossible to ensure that sentences are carried out properly.
Norway: Utoya Today - Utoya was an idyllic vacation island in a lake 40 kilometers from Oslo, the capital. Then came this summer's horrible massacre. Local residents are still traumatized by what they witnessed.
Greece: Extremist Parties Sense a Chance - An emergency coalition of the conservatives and the socialists is set to govern Greece until new elections in February. The rightwing nationalist LAOS Party wants to profit from the crisis.
Germany: The Mediators - The rioters in Britain showed no solidarity with their own neighborhoods, destroying everything equally ruthlessly. In Bremen, parents are now going on nocturnal patrol.
Turkey: Women Want Equality in the Mosque - Up to now in Turkey, women entering mosques had to use side entrances and sit in dimly lit corners in galleries. The institution in Ankara known as the Presidency of Religious Affairs now wants to end this discrimination. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
Scotland: Yes or No? - The United Kingdom might soon be history. Latest surveys indicate growing approval for Scottish independence. Many people in Britain view that with concern. Shortly before the... [26 minutes]
- Tue, September 16, 6:30 AM on IPTV World
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Scottish Independence: Yes Or No? (#3237)
- France: Jihadist Fighters Increasing (#3236)
- Deadly Danger: Looming Tsunami In Norwa (#3235)
- Joint Border Patrols: Decreasing Criminal Activity (#3234)
- Greece: Suicide Crisis and Depression (#3233)
- Backlash of Gaza Fighting Increase Fears In France (#3232)
- Episode #3231
- Prudery In Putinland: Latest In Russian Censorship Laws (#3230)
- Dreaming of Kurdistan (#3229)
- Millions of Wasted Funds Down The Drain In Eu Projects (#3228)
- Ukraine: City of Lviv Becomes Role Model (#3227)
- Crimea: Dependent On Deceptive Dreams (#3226)
- Turkey: Thousands of Missing Children (#3225)
- Palatial Palace In Poland: Treatment for Depression (#3224)
- The Russian Loyalists In Latvia (#3223)
- Plastic, Catch of the Day - In Today's Oceans (#3222)
- Ukraine Elections: A New President (#3221)
- Episode #3220
- Episode #3219
- Episode #3218