Syria's political opposition organizing across the border in Turkey (#2947)
Turkey: The Syrian Opposition - The regime of Syrian president Bashar al-Assad is intensifying its crackdown on the country's political opposition. Its leaders are organizing their resistance from Turkey.
Britain: Single Mothers By Choice - In Britain many women without male partners are still choosing to become mothers.
Italy: The Mayor of Florence - Following the departure of wisecracking Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, many Italians are longing for a new kind of politician. They see Matteo Renzi, the mayor of the city of Florence, as someone who's not afraid to tackle problems head on.
Romania: A Plague of Bears - Few European countries are home to as many brown bears as Romania. Over 6000 of them live there. But while that pleases many naturalists, it is making many Romanians increasingly fearful.
Switzerland: Inheritance Tax for Millionaires - Many rich people move to Switzerland so they can pass on their wealth to their children undiminished by inheritance tax. A referendum might scuttle those plans. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
- Indicates a Festival program - full Festival schedule »
Ukraine: Tug-Of-War In Crimea (#3210)
- Sat, March 15, 8:30 AM on IPTV World
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Ukraine: Tug-Of-War In Crimea (#3210)
- Overthrow In Ukraine, Enormous Problems Ahead (#3209)
- Uprising of the Unemployed (#3208)
- Ukraine: Protestors' Right to Rise Up (#3207)
- Russia: Scorched Earth (#3206)
- Ukraine: Rich Remain Ruling Party (#3205)
- Episode #3204
- Belgium: Assisted Suicide for Minors? (#3203)
- Episode #3202
- Special: 10th Anniversary of Eastern EU Enlargement (#3201)
- Belgium: Manager with a Big Heart (#3152)
- Decommissioning Atomic Subs In Russia (#3151)
- Is The Celtic Lion Roaring Or Snoring? (#3150)
- Italy: Fighting The Mafia with Mozzarella (#3149)
- Un Calls for End of Racist Santa Spectacle (#3148)
- Greedy for Greenland's Resources (#3147)
- National Sport: Subway Fare-Dodging (#3146)
- Fanning Flames On London's Overheated Housing (#3145)
- Russia's Richest Billionaire Putin Denies Wealth (#3144)