Syria's political opposition organizing across the border in Turkey (#2947)
Turkey: The Syrian Opposition - The regime of Syrian president Bashar al-Assad is intensifying its crackdown on the country's political opposition. Its leaders are organizing their resistance from Turkey.
Britain: Single Mothers By Choice - In Britain many women without male partners are still choosing to become mothers.
Italy: The Mayor of Florence - Following the departure of wisecracking Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, many Italians are longing for a new kind of politician. They see Matteo Renzi, the mayor of the city of Florence, as someone who's not afraid to tackle problems head on.
Romania: A Plague of Bears - Few European countries are home to as many brown bears as Romania. Over 6000 of them live there. But while that pleases many naturalists, it is making many Romanians increasingly fearful.
Switzerland: Inheritance Tax for Millionaires - Many rich people move to Switzerland so they can pass on their wealth to their children undiminished by inheritance tax. A referendum might scuttle those plans. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
- Indicates a December Celebration program
There are no broadcasts currently planned. Please check back for future broadcast dates.
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Us Installing Missiles In Romania (#3239)
- Pope Francis Kicks Mafia Out (#3238)
- Scottish Independence: Yes Or No? (#3237)
- France: Jihadist Fighters Increasing (#3236)
- Deadly Danger: Looming Tsunami In Norwa (#3235)
- Joint Border Patrols: Decreasing Criminal Activity (#3234)
- Greece: Suicide Crisis and Depression (#3233)
- Backlash of Gaza Fighting Increase Fears In France (#3232)
- Episode #3231
- Prudery In Putinland: Latest In Russian Censorship Laws (#3230)
- Dreaming of Kurdistan (#3229)
- Millions of Wasted Funds Down The Drain In Eu Projects (#3228)
- Ukraine: City of Lviv Becomes Role Model (#3227)
- Crimea: Dependent On Deceptive Dreams (#3226)