Surviving A Difficult Christmas In Europe (#2948)
Germany: The nuns of Zweifall - The financial crisis has also taken its toll on churches. Congregations have had to tighten their belts, and convents too.
Greece: No money for education - An interim government is trying to save Greece from bankruptcy. But its austerity program is driving ordinary Greeks to despair.
France: Tunisian Refugees - The Arab Spring saw the ousting of long-time leaders in Tunisia, Egypt and Libya. During the upheaval, many people fled across the Mediterranean to Europe and are wondering when or if they should go home.
Germany: One Pastor Takes on Coal - The consequences of the nuclear catastrophe in Fukushima, Japan, were also felt in Europe. Germany is phasing out nuclear power, and coal is experiencing a comeback. But are there alternatives?
Comino: One Family's Island - There are still a few places that have yet to feel the chaos of the economic crisis, like Comino, the smallest island in the Maltese archipelago. While Malta is crowded, Comino is almost empty. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
- Indicates a December Celebration program
There are no broadcasts currently planned. Please check back for future broadcast dates.
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Us Installing Missiles In Romania (#3239)
- Pope Francis Kicks Mafia Out (#3238)
- Scottish Independence: Yes Or No? (#3237)
- France: Jihadist Fighters Increasing (#3236)
- Deadly Danger: Looming Tsunami In Norwa (#3235)
- Joint Border Patrols: Decreasing Criminal Activity (#3234)
- Greece: Suicide Crisis and Depression (#3233)
- Backlash of Gaza Fighting Increase Fears In France (#3232)
- Episode #3231
- Prudery In Putinland: Latest In Russian Censorship Laws (#3230)
- Dreaming of Kurdistan (#3229)
- Millions of Wasted Funds Down The Drain In Eu Projects (#3228)
- Ukraine: City of Lviv Becomes Role Model (#3227)
- Crimea: Dependent On Deceptive Dreams (#3226)