Greece's Economic Woes Lead to More Orphans (#3003)
Greece: Persistent Poverty - The economic situation in Greece continues to worsen, as it becomes clear the country's austerity measures just aren't effective. As the crisis persists, more and more Greeks are falling into poverty. Because of the crisis, desperate parents who are no longer able to care for their children are leaving them at orphanages.
France: Press Freedom Under Pressure - European politicians describe press freedom as a democratic principle that must be closely guarded. But journalists who publish critical reports on governments are coming under increasing pressure and surveillance.
Spain: Royal Livestock Trails - Anders Belinchon is one of Spain's last cowboys. He guides his herd on a 400-kilometer trek, from northwestern Spain to the winter pastures of Andalusia.
Switzerland: The "No CPR" Stamp - It's an idea that has unleashed heated debate in Switzerland: A chest stamp for people who do not want to be resuscitated in the event of a medical emergency.
Britain: Goodbye, Ballroom? - The Rivoli, a ballroom dating back to the 1950s, is an oasis of velvet and crystal chandeliers that allows Londoners a place to take a trip back in time. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Greece: Suicide Crisis and Depression (#3233)
- Backlash of Gaza Fighting Increase Fears In France (#3232)
- Episode #3231
- Prudery In Putinland: Latest In Russian Censorship Laws (#3230)
- Dreaming of Kurdistan (#3229)
- Millions of Wasted Funds Down The Drain In Eu Projects (#3228)
- Ukraine: City of Lviv Becomes Role Model (#3227)
- Crimea: Dependent On Deceptive Dreams (#3226)
- Turkey: Thousands of Missing Children (#3225)
- Palatial Palace In Poland: Treatment for Depression (#3224)
- The Russian Loyalists In Latvia (#3223)
- Plastic, Catch of the Day - In Today's Oceans (#3222)
- Ukraine Elections: A New President (#3221)
- Episode #3220
- Episode #3219
- Episode #3218
- Who Will Grab The Exhibiting Crimean Gold? (#3217)
- Moldova: Next Tug-Of-War Between Russian and Eu? (#3216)
- Living In Estonia and Longing for Russia (#3215)
- World's Oldest Bank On Brink of Collapse (#3214)
- Russians Invest Millions In Austria (#3213)