Greece's Economic Woes Lead to More Orphans (#3003)
Greece: Persistent Poverty - The economic situation in Greece continues to worsen, as it becomes clear the country's austerity measures just aren't effective. As the crisis persists, more and more Greeks are falling into poverty. Because of the crisis, desperate parents who are no longer able to care for their children are leaving them at orphanages.
France: Press Freedom Under Pressure - European politicians describe press freedom as a democratic principle that must be closely guarded. But journalists who publish critical reports on governments are coming under increasing pressure and surveillance.
Spain: Royal Livestock Trails - Anders Belinchon is one of Spain's last cowboys. He guides his herd on a 400-kilometer trek, from northwestern Spain to the winter pastures of Andalusia.
Switzerland: The "No CPR" Stamp - It's an idea that has unleashed heated debate in Switzerland: A chest stamp for people who do not want to be resuscitated in the event of a medical emergency.
Britain: Goodbye, Ballroom? - The Rivoli, a ballroom dating back to the 1950s, is an oasis of velvet and crystal chandeliers that allows Londoners a place to take a trip back in time. [26 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Series Description: EUROPEAN JOURNAL looks beyond the headlines and sound bites to deliver relevant, unbiased and imaginative reporting on the events shaping the political, economic and cultural landscape of Europe. Each week, teams of journalists, photographers and producers scour the continent in search of stories with impact and meaning for American viewers, while alternating presenters Jim Gibbons and Cathy Smith provide in-depth analysis on this dynamic region.
All Upcoming Episodes
- Sat, December 28, 5:00 PM on IPTV World
- Sat, December 28, 8:30 PM on IPTV World
- Sun, December 29, 2:30 AM on IPTV
- Sun, December 29, 7:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sun, December 29, 12:00 PM on IPTV World
- Sun, December 29, 3:30 PM on IPTV World
- Mon, December 30, 12:00 AM on IPTV World
- Mon, December 30, 5:00 AM on IPTV
- Tue, December 31, 6:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sat, January 4, 8:30 PM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 5, 7:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 5, 3:30 PM on IPTV World
- Tue, January 7, 6:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sat, January 11, 8:30 PM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 12, 7:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 12, 3:30 PM on IPTV World
- Tue, January 14, 6:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sat, January 18, 8:30 PM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 19, 7:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 19, 3:30 PM on IPTV World
- Tue, January 21, 6:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sat, January 25, 8:30 PM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 26, 7:30 AM on IPTV World
- Sun, January 26, 3:30 PM on IPTV World
- Tue, January 28, 6:30 AM on IPTV World
These episodes of European Journal aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Italy: Fighting The Mafia with Mozzarella (#3149)
- Un Calls for End of Racist Santa Spectacle (#3148)
- Greedy for Greenland's Resources (#3147)
- National Sport: Subway Fare-Dodging (#3146)
- Fanning Flames On London's Overheated Housing (#3145)
- Russia's Richest Billionaire Putin Denies Wealth (#3144)
- Europe's Largest Man-Made Nature Reserve (#3143)
- Episode #3142
- Gambling Priests Bankrupt Archdiocese (#3141)
- Unemployment: Waiting for Elders to Retire (#3140)
- Merkel's Greatest Victory (#3139)
- Discovery of a Subterranean Hideout from the Nazis (#3138)
- Gibraltar: Row Over The Rock (#3137)
- Village of thieves: evidence burning of Picasso, Monet and Matisse Artwork (#3136)
- Russia's Controversial Figurehead: From Prison To Moscow Mayor? (#3135)
- Bargain Prices for Castles In Ireland (#3134)
- Episode #3133
- Greece's million refugees are considered undesirables (#3132)
- Air Conditioning for a Glacier (#3131)