Porgy & Bess: An American Voice (#2308)
The historic saga of George and Ira Gershwin's immortal American opera is traced from the publication of the novel "Porgy" by Dubose Heyward in 1925, the premiere of the opera in 1935, and the many legendary productions that followed through the decades. Kitty Carlisle Hart, Francis Gershwin Godowsky and scholars share their insights and memories. Ruby Dee narrates this retrospective which features interviews and clips of past cast members from the various productions of "Porgy and Bess," including Leontyne Price, William Warfield, Maya Angelou, Diahann Carroll, Grace Bumbry, and Williard White. [86 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Information For Teachers
- Grade Levels
- Curricular Areas
- The Arts
- Series Length
- 262 episodes
- Average Episode Length
- 97 minutes
- Record Rights
- Sch/until 3/24/16; ncc; simul. ;7-day cached rights
- Visit the Website for Teacher Resources
Visit the IPTV Education website to access timely, relevant resources for your classroom.
Series Description: GREAT PERFORMANCES, the longest-running performing arts anthology on television, continues to feature the best in the performing arts.
All Upcoming Episodes
These episodes of Great Performances aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Dudamel Conducts a John Williams Celebration With the LA Phil (#4101)
- Vienna Philharmonic Summer Night Concert 2015 (#4008)
- Driving Miss Daisy (#4007)
- Annie Lennox: Nostalgia Live In Concert (#3914)
- Twilight: Los Angeles (#3710)
- Boston Symphony Orchestra: Andris Nelsons' Inaugural Concert (#4006)