The Art of Singing: Golden Voices, Silver Screen (#2311)
From Caruso to Callas, GREAT PERFORMANCES explores the rich film legacy of opera's greatest stars in "The Art of Singing: Golden Voices, Silver Screen." A highlight of GREAT PERFORMANCES' 25th anniversary season, the two-hour special, hosted by celebrated American baritone Thomas Hampson, offers a remarkable evening of rarely seen treasures. Among the nuggets: newly remastered footage of Met favorite Beniamino Gigli in a 1927 "Cavalleria Rusticana"; Rosa Ponselle's MGM screen test, long considered lost, for a never-filmed "Carmen"; and Maria Callas in her now legendary Lisbon "La Traviata. [116 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Information For Teachers
- Grade Levels
- Curricular Areas
- The Arts
- Series Length
- 261 episodes
- Average Episode Length
- 97 minutes
- Record Rights
- Record and retain for 1 year from each broadcast. No duplication allowed.
- Visit the Website for Teacher Resources
Visit the IPTV Education website to access timely, relevant resources for your classroom.
Series Description: GREAT PERFORMANCES, the longest-running performing arts anthology on television, continues to feature the best in the performing arts.
All Upcoming Episodes
There are no broadcasts currently planned. Please check back for future broadcast dates.
These episodes of Great Performances aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Dudamel Conducts a John Williams Celebration With the LA Phil (#4101)
- Vienna Philharmonic Summer Night Concert 2015 (#4008)
- Driving Miss Daisy (#4007)
- Annie Lennox: Nostalgia Live In Concert (#3914)
- Twilight: Los Angeles (#3710)
- Boston Symphony Orchestra: Andris Nelsons' Inaugural Concert (#4006)