Swan Lake (#2313)
Matthew Bournes triumphant modern reinterpretation of SWAN LAKE, has thrilled both critics and audience alike. Featuring a royal family that echoes the tabloid travails of todays Buckingham Palace, Tchaikovskys classic score now tells the tale of a young prince whose lifelong obsession with swans ultimately provides him with a release. Bourne replaces the ballets famous corps or tutued females swans with a robust flock of bare-chested males, making their appearance less an ethereal vision and more an unsettling nightmare. Not only does the swan symbolize the freedom and love denied the Prince, but the missing father figure. [116 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Information For Teachers
- Grade Levels
- Curricular Areas
- The Arts
- Series Length
- 260 episodes
- Average Episode Length
- 97 minutes
- Record Rights
- Sch/until 3/24/16; ncc; simul. ;7-day cached rights
- Visit the Website for Teacher Resources
Visit the IPTV Education website to access timely, relevant resources for your classroom.
Series Description: GREAT PERFORMANCES, the longest-running performing arts anthology on television, continues to feature the best in the performing arts.
All Upcoming Episodes
These episodes of Great Performances aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Dudamel Conducts a John Williams Celebration With the LA Phil (#4101)
- Driving Miss Daisy (#4007)
- Annie Lennox: Nostalgia Live In Concert (#3914)
- Twilight: Los Angeles (#3710)
- Boston Symphony Orchestra: Andris Nelsons' Inaugural Concert (#4006)
- Mark Morris Dance Group: L'Allegro (#4005)
- Bryan Adams In Concert (#3911)
- La Dolce Vita: The Music of Italian Cinema (#3913)