Sam Shepard's "True West" (#2315)
John Malkovich and Gary Sinise star in the first dramatic work by playwright Sam Shepard produced for television. The play, which first aired on PBS in 1984 as part of the AMERICAN PLAYHOUSE series, is a contemporary comedy/drama set in a rural California community about 40 miles outside of Los Angeles. The drama focuses on the relationship between two brothers -- one a fairly successful screenwriter and the other a down-and-out desert rat and burglar. Theaction begins when the disreputable brother unexpectedly shows up at their mother's house, tended by the straitlaced brother while she's away. The story turns on the reversal of roles after the shady brother "sells" an old-fashioned western story to a Hollywood producer and then tries to convince his more talented brother to write the script. [116 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Information For Teachers
- Grade Levels
- Curricular Areas
- The Arts
- Series Length
- 263 episodes
- Average Episode Length
- 97 minutes
- Record Rights
- Record and retain for 1 year from each broadcast. No duplication allowed.
- Visit the Website for Teacher Resources
Visit the IPTV Education website to access timely, relevant resources for your classroom.
Series Description: GREAT PERFORMANCES, the longest-running performing arts anthology on television, continues to feature the best in the performing arts.
All Upcoming Episodes
- Mon, November 30, 8:00 PM on IPTV
These episodes of Great Performances aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga: Cheek to Cheek Live! (#3910)
- Chita Rivera: A Lot of Livin' to Do (#4009)
- Billy Elliot: The Musical Live (#3915)
- Dudamel Conducts a John Williams Celebration With the LA Phil (#4101)
- Vienna Philharmonic Summer Night Concert 2015 (#4008)
- Driving Miss Daisy (#4007)
- Annie Lennox: Nostalgia Live In Concert (#3914)