The Rodgers & Hart Story: Thou Swell, Thou Witty (#2408)
Before his legendary years with Oscar Hammerstein II, composer Richard Rodgers partnered with another collaborator, lyricist Lorenz Hart, to create a sophisticated, innovative style that profoundly influenced the course of the American musical theater. Though their plays are not well-remembered, songs from them have become classics. Modern performers in period costume recreate standards like "My Funny Valentine," "The Lady Is a Tramp" and "Where or When." Interviews and archival film clips document this creative partnership, and the events that led to its eventual dissolution. [56 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Information For Teachers
- Grade Levels
- Curricular Areas
- The Arts
- Series Length
- 260 episodes
- Average Episode Length
- 97 minutes
- Record Rights
- Record and retain for 1 year from each broadcast. No duplication allowed.
- Visit the Website for Teacher Resources
Visit the IPTV Education website to access timely, relevant resources for your classroom.
Series Description: GREAT PERFORMANCES, the longest-running performing arts anthology on television, continues to feature the best in the performing arts.
All Upcoming Episodes
These episodes of Great Performances aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Dudamel Conducts a John Williams Celebration With the LA Phil (#4101)
- Driving Miss Daisy (#4007)
- Annie Lennox: Nostalgia Live In Concert (#3914)
- Twilight: Los Angeles (#3710)
- Boston Symphony Orchestra: Andris Nelsons' Inaugural Concert (#4006)
- Mark Morris Dance Group: L'Allegro (#4005)
- Bryan Adams In Concert (#3911)
- La Dolce Vita: The Music of Italian Cinema (#3913)