Swingin' with Duke: Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis (#2412)
As a gifted pianist, arranger and bandleader, Duke Ellington forged a distinctive sound in jazz and swing that thrilled audiences with its romance, sensuality and elegance. But, as one of America's finest popular composers, Ellington gave the world much more, including such standards as "Take the A Train," "Sophisticated Lady," "Mood Indigo" and "Don't Get Around Much Anymore." In honor of Ellington's 100th birthday, GREAT PERFORMANCES presents jazz master Wynton Marsalis and the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra in a concert tribute celebrating all the varied aspects of Ellington's music. Also includes archival footage of Ellington, biographical sketches and clips from original performances. [86 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Information For Teachers
- Grade Levels
- Curricular Areas
- The Arts
- Series Length
- 263 episodes
- Average Episode Length
- 97 minutes
- Record Rights
- Sch/until 3/24/16; ncc; simul. ;7-day cached rights
- Visit the Website for Teacher Resources
Visit the IPTV Education website to access timely, relevant resources for your classroom.
Series Description: GREAT PERFORMANCES, the longest-running performing arts anthology on television, continues to feature the best in the performing arts.
All Upcoming Episodes
- Mon, November 30, 8:00 PM on IPTV
These episodes of Great Performances aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga: Cheek to Cheek Live! (#3910)
- Chita Rivera: A Lot of Livin' to Do (#4009)
- Billy Elliot: The Musical Live (#3915)
- Dudamel Conducts a John Williams Celebration With the LA Phil (#4101)
- Vienna Philharmonic Summer Night Concert 2015 (#4008)
- Driving Miss Daisy (#4007)
- Annie Lennox: Nostalgia Live In Concert (#3914)