"Turandot" at the Forbidden City (#2414)
In 1998, Beijing was the scene of an unprecedented and historic cross-cultural event: the premiere of Chinese director Zhang Yimou's Maggio Musicale production of "'Turandot' in the Forbidden City," the spectacular true-life setting of Puccini's immortal opera fairy tale. With music director Zubin Mehta once again conducting a production involving the talents of over 1,000 performers, artists and craftspeople, the international telecast features Giovanna Casola as Princess Turandot, Sergej Larin as Calaf and Barbara Fritttoli as Liu. [116 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Information For Teachers
- Grade Levels
- Curricular Areas
- The Arts
- Series Length
- 261 episodes
- Average Episode Length
- 97 minutes
- Record Rights
- Record and retain for 1 year from each broadcast. No duplication allowed.
- Visit the Website for Teacher Resources
Visit the IPTV Education website to access timely, relevant resources for your classroom.
Series Description: GREAT PERFORMANCES, the longest-running performing arts anthology on television, continues to feature the best in the performing arts.
All Upcoming Episodes
There are no broadcasts currently planned. Please check back for future broadcast dates.
These episodes of Great Performances aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Dudamel Conducts a John Williams Celebration With the LA Phil (#4101)
- Vienna Philharmonic Summer Night Concert 2015 (#4008)
- Driving Miss Daisy (#4007)
- Annie Lennox: Nostalgia Live In Concert (#3914)
- Twilight: Los Angeles (#3710)
- Boston Symphony Orchestra: Andris Nelsons' Inaugural Concert (#4006)