Parsifal: The Search for the Grail (#2415)
The Grail -- the cup, legend has it, from which Jesus drank at the Last Supper -- remains one of the most powerful symbols in Western culture; and Richard Wagner's "Parsifal" is the most famous opera to dramatize the Grail's eternal mystique. In this performance documentary by filmmaker Tony Palmer, Placido Domingo performs highlights from "Parsifal's" score. Joining him is Violeta Urmana as the enchantress Kundry. Valery Gergiev conducts the Kirov Orchestra and Choir. Also featured are the European locations that served as inspirations to Wagner, as well as a rare interview with Wagner's grandson Wolfgang. [86 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Information For Teachers
- Grade Levels
- Curricular Areas
- The Arts
- Series Length
- 262 episodes
- Average Episode Length
- 97 minutes
- Record Rights
- Sch/until 3/24/16; ncc; simul. ;7-day cached rights
- Visit the Website for Teacher Resources
Visit the IPTV Education website to access timely, relevant resources for your classroom.
Series Description: GREAT PERFORMANCES, the longest-running performing arts anthology on television, continues to feature the best in the performing arts.
All Upcoming Episodes
Billy Elliot The Musical Live (#3915)
- Fri, October 23, 8:30 PM on IPTV
- Fri, November 6, 8:30 PM on IPTV
- Fri, November 6, 9:30 PM on IPTV
- Mon, November 30, 8:00 PM on IPTV
These episodes of Great Performances aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Dudamel Conducts a John Williams Celebration With the LA Phil (#4101)
- Vienna Philharmonic Summer Night Concert 2015 (#4008)
- Driving Miss Daisy (#4007)
- Annie Lennox: Nostalgia Live In Concert (#3914)
- Twilight: Los Angeles (#3710)
- Boston Symphony Orchestra: Andris Nelsons' Inaugural Concert (#4006)