A Long Day's Journey Into Night (#2416)
In the summer of 1939, at the age of 50, Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Eugene O'Neill began work on what he called "a play of old sorrow, written in tears and blood," finally summoning the courage to write an autobiographical masterpiece that confronted the truth about his own family. In this powerful interpretation from Canada's Stratford Festival, filmmaker David Wellington's film adaptation of O'Neill's searing drama maintains the production's theatrical intimacy, featuring shattering performances by William Hutt as James Tyrone, Martha Henry as his wife, Mary, Peter Donaldson as James Jr. and Tom McCamus as O'Neill's alter ego, Edmund. [176 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Information For Teachers
- Grade Levels
- Curricular Areas
- The Arts
- Series Length
- 260 episodes
- Average Episode Length
- 97 minutes
- Record Rights
- Sch/until 3/24/16; ncc; simul. ;7-day cached rights
- Visit the Website for Teacher Resources
Visit the IPTV Education website to access timely, relevant resources for your classroom.
Series Description: GREAT PERFORMANCES, the longest-running performing arts anthology on television, continues to feature the best in the performing arts.
All Upcoming Episodes
These episodes of Great Performances aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Dudamel Conducts a John Williams Celebration With the LA Phil (#4101)
- Driving Miss Daisy (#4007)
- Annie Lennox: Nostalgia Live In Concert (#3914)
- Twilight: Los Angeles (#3710)
- Boston Symphony Orchestra: Andris Nelsons' Inaugural Concert (#4006)
- Mark Morris Dance Group: L'Allegro (#4005)
- Bryan Adams In Concert (#3911)
- La Dolce Vita: The Music of Italian Cinema (#3913)