The Art of Piano (#2513)
This program contains a wealth of archival material, much of it never before seen. Viewers can study, close-up, the hands of Artur Rubinstein, Glenn Gould and Vladimir Horowitz as they play, then compare them with rare clips of Alfred Cortot, Edwin Fischer, Wilhelm Backhaus and Benno Moiseiwitsch. Journeying through the major traditions and stylistic currents that have shaped the 20th-century history of the piano, this performance documentary bisects the other important developments that have left their mark on the music: recording techniques, instrument manufacture, Hollywood films and even the psychology of the world's virtuoso performers. Also featured are contemporary pianists and conductors, discussing the styles and significance of techniques and performances. [116 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Information For Teachers
- Grade Levels
- Curricular Areas
- The Arts
- Series Length
- 263 episodes
- Average Episode Length
- 97 minutes
- Record Rights
- Sch/until 3/24/16; ncc; simul. ;7-day cached rights
- Visit the Website for Teacher Resources
Visit the IPTV Education website to access timely, relevant resources for your classroom.
Series Description: GREAT PERFORMANCES, the longest-running performing arts anthology on television, continues to feature the best in the performing arts.
All Upcoming Episodes
- Mon, November 30, 8:00 PM on IPTV
These episodes of Great Performances aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga: Cheek to Cheek Live! (#3910)
- Chita Rivera: A Lot of Livin' to Do (#4009)
- Billy Elliot: The Musical Live (#3915)
- Dudamel Conducts a John Williams Celebration With the LA Phil (#4101)
- Vienna Philharmonic Summer Night Concert 2015 (#4008)
- Driving Miss Daisy (#4007)
- Annie Lennox: Nostalgia Live In Concert (#3914)