Play On! (#2514)
Picture Harlem during the heyday of swing, then add a little Shakespeare to the songs of Duke Ellington. The result? A new musical that has delighted audiences around the country since its Broadway premiere. Loosely based on Shakespeare's "Twelfth Night," "Play On!" follows the show-stopping adventures of a young woman posing as a man to pursue her dream of being a songwriter. Taped at the Pasadena Playhouse, written by Cheryl West and directed by Sheldon Epps, the production features such Ellington classics as "Don't Get Around Much Anymore," "Mood Indigo," "It Don't Mean a Thing If It Ain't Got That Swing" and many others. Heading the cast are Natalie Venetia Belcon as Vy (and later Vy-Man), Richard Allen as Rev, Raun Ruffin as Duke and Nikki Crawford as Lady Liv, with orchestrations by Ellington collaborator Luther Henderson and choreography by Ellington's granddaughter Mercedes Ellington. [116 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Information For Teachers
- Grade Levels
- Curricular Areas
- The Arts
- Series Length
- 260 episodes
- Average Episode Length
- 97 minutes
- Record Rights
- Sch/until 3/24/16; ncc; simul. ;7-day cached rights
- Visit the Website for Teacher Resources
Visit the IPTV Education website to access timely, relevant resources for your classroom.
Series Description: GREAT PERFORMANCES, the longest-running performing arts anthology on television, continues to feature the best in the performing arts.
All Upcoming Episodes
These episodes of Great Performances aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Dudamel Conducts a John Williams Celebration With the LA Phil (#4101)
- Driving Miss Daisy (#4007)
- Annie Lennox: Nostalgia Live In Concert (#3914)
- Twilight: Los Angeles (#3710)
- Boston Symphony Orchestra: Andris Nelsons' Inaugural Concert (#4006)
- Mark Morris Dance Group: L'Allegro (#4005)
- Bryan Adams In Concert (#3911)
- La Dolce Vita: The Music of Italian Cinema (#3913)