Don Giovanni Unmasked (#2612)
Featuring one of the world's most sensational young baritones, Russia's Dmitri Hvorostovsky, this one-hour adaptation of Don Giovanni retells the Mozart masterpiece from the point of view of Don Giovanni's servant, Leporello. Taking the form of a film within a film, it is simultaneously set in two separate eras -- 1930s Hollywood and 17th- century Spain. Opening in 1930, the program presents Leporello as the host of a movie, set in 1620 Seville, that reveals the longstanding secret of his master's identity. Through the intricate use of special effects, Hvorostovsky performs the roles of Leporello and Don Giovanni, transcending time and space to offer a tantalizing new perspective on Don Giovanni and his ultimately tragic romantic escapades. [56 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Anika Noni Rose (Marta) performs "Another Hundred People" in Stephen Sondheim's "Company," airing Friday, Nov. 8 at... 02:17
Stephen Colbert (Harry) and Martha Plimpton (Sarah) play a married couple whose karate demonstration gets a bit... 03:17
In the opening song, "Company," Bobby (Neil Patrick Harris) is the object of attention of his five sets of married... 03:16
Captured from the stage of Avery Fisher Hall at New York's Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, the musical airs... 00:31
Composer Jake Heggie and librettist Gene Scheer's award-winning opera Moby-Dick will be broadcast on Great... 00:31
- Watch more video from this program »
Information For Teachers
- Grade Levels
- Curricular Areas
- The Arts
- Series Length
- 252 episodes
- Average Episode Length
- 97 minutes
- Record Rights
- Sch/until 3/24/16; ncc; simul. ;7-day cached rights
- Visit the Website for Teacher Resources
Visit the IPTV Education website to access timely, relevant resources for your classroom.
Series Description: GREAT PERFORMANCES, the longest-running performing arts anthology on television, continues to feature the best in the performing arts.
All Upcoming Episodes
These episodes of Great Performances aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Cats (#4003)
- Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga: Cheek to Cheek Live! (#3910)
- Star-Spangled Spectacular: Bicentennial of Our National Anthem (#4002)
- Rejoice with Itzhak Perlman and Cantor Yitzchak Meir Helfgot (#3816)
- Vienna Philharmonic Summer Night Concert 2014 (#3909)
- Sting: The Last Ship (#3906)
- Dudamel Conducts the Verdi Requiem at the Hollywood Bowl (#4001)
- Placido Domingo: My Favorite Roles (#3609)