"Little Women" from the Houston Grand Opera (#2618)
Adapted many times for stage and screen, Louisa May Alcott's family favorite now comes to the opera house in this commission by the Houston Grand Opera, featuring a score and libretto by the celebrated young American composer Mark Adamo. Conducted by Patrick Summers, " Little Women" is the poignant coming of age chronicle of the four March sisters -- Jo, Beth, Meg and Amy -- in 19th century New England. The production features mezzo-sopranos Stephanie Novacek and Joyce DiDonato as Jo and Meg, with tenor Chad Shelton as Jo's long-suffering suitor Laurie. Also featured are sopranos Margaret Lloyd as Amy and Stacey Tappan as Beth, and mezzo-soprano Gwendolyn Jones as Alma March. [116 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Information For Teachers
- Grade Levels
- Curricular Areas
- The Arts
- Series Length
- 263 episodes
- Average Episode Length
- 97 minutes
- Record Rights
- Record and retain for 1 year from each broadcast. No duplication allowed.
- Visit the Website for Teacher Resources
Visit the IPTV Education website to access timely, relevant resources for your classroom.
Series Description: GREAT PERFORMANCES, the longest-running performing arts anthology on television, continues to feature the best in the performing arts.
All Upcoming Episodes
- Mon, November 30, 8:00 PM on IPTV
These episodes of Great Performances aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga: Cheek to Cheek Live! (#3910)
- Chita Rivera: A Lot of Livin' to Do (#4009)
- Billy Elliot: The Musical Live (#3915)
- Dudamel Conducts a John Williams Celebration With the LA Phil (#4101)
- Vienna Philharmonic Summer Night Concert 2015 (#4008)
- Driving Miss Daisy (#4007)
- Annie Lennox: Nostalgia Live In Concert (#3914)