"Little Women" from the Houston Grand Opera (#2618)
Adapted many times for stage and screen, Louisa May Alcott's family favorite now comes to the opera house in this commission by the Houston Grand Opera, featuring a score and libretto by the celebrated young American composer Mark Adamo. Conducted by Patrick Summers, " Little Women" is the poignant coming of age chronicle of the four March sisters -- Jo, Beth, Meg and Amy -- in 19th century New England. The production features mezzo-sopranos Stephanie Novacek and Joyce DiDonato as Jo and Meg, with tenor Chad Shelton as Jo's long-suffering suitor Laurie. Also featured are sopranos Margaret Lloyd as Amy and Stacey Tappan as Beth, and mezzo-soprano Gwendolyn Jones as Alma March. [116 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Information For Teachers
- Grade Levels
- Curricular Areas
- The Arts
- Series Length
- 261 episodes
- Average Episode Length
- 97 minutes
- Record Rights
- Record and retain for 1 year from each broadcast. No duplication allowed.
- Visit the Website for Teacher Resources
Visit the IPTV Education website to access timely, relevant resources for your classroom.
Series Description: GREAT PERFORMANCES, the longest-running performing arts anthology on television, continues to feature the best in the performing arts.
All Upcoming Episodes
There are no broadcasts currently planned. Please check back for future broadcast dates.
These episodes of Great Performances aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Dudamel Conducts a John Williams Celebration With the LA Phil (#4101)
- Vienna Philharmonic Summer Night Concert 2015 (#4008)
- Driving Miss Daisy (#4007)
- Annie Lennox: Nostalgia Live In Concert (#3914)
- Twilight: Los Angeles (#3710)
- Boston Symphony Orchestra: Andris Nelsons' Inaugural Concert (#4006)