Joshua Bell - West Side Story Suite from Central Park (#2702)
New York City's Central Park is the setting as Grammy Award-winning violinist Joshua Bell pays tribute to one of the most enduring musicals of the 20th century, Leonard Bernstein's West Side Story. Under the baton of conductor William Eddins, the world-renowned New York Philharmonic accompanies the acclaimed young American violinist as he offers new renditions of some of the musical theater's most enduring songs, including "Somewhere," "Tonight," and "Maria," in soaring new arrangements by Tony Award-winning orchestrator William David Brohn. The concert also includes performances of Bernstein's " Lonely Town" and "Glitter and Be Gay" by the Tony-winning sensation Kristin Chenoweth, as well as interviews and documentary footage created exclusively for the telecast. [56 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Anika Noni Rose (Marta) performs "Another Hundred People" in Stephen Sondheim's "Company," airing Friday, Nov. 8 at... 02:17
Stephen Colbert (Harry) and Martha Plimpton (Sarah) play a married couple whose karate demonstration gets a bit... 03:17
In the opening song, "Company," Bobby (Neil Patrick Harris) is the object of attention of his five sets of married... 03:16
Captured from the stage of Avery Fisher Hall at New York's Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, the musical airs... 00:31
Composer Jake Heggie and librettist Gene Scheer's award-winning opera Moby-Dick will be broadcast on Great... 00:31
- Watch more video from this program »
Information For Teachers
- Grade Levels
- Curricular Areas
- The Arts
- Series Length
- 252 episodes
- Average Episode Length
- 97 minutes
- Record Rights
- Sch/until 3/24/16; ncc; simul. ;7-day cached rights
- Visit the Website for Teacher Resources
Visit the IPTV Education website to access timely, relevant resources for your classroom.
Series Description: GREAT PERFORMANCES, the longest-running performing arts anthology on television, continues to feature the best in the performing arts.
All Upcoming Episodes
These episodes of Great Performances aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Cats (#4003)
- Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga: Cheek to Cheek Live! (#3910)
- Star-Spangled Spectacular: Bicentennial of Our National Anthem (#4002)
- Rejoice with Itzhak Perlman and Cantor Yitzchak Meir Helfgot (#3816)
- Vienna Philharmonic Summer Night Concert 2014 (#3909)
- Sting: The Last Ship (#3906)
- Dudamel Conducts the Verdi Requiem at the Hollywood Bowl (#4001)
- Placido Domingo: My Favorite Roles (#3609)