Joshua Bell - West Side Story Suite from Central Park (#2702)
New York City's Central Park is the setting as Grammy Award-winning violinist Joshua Bell pays tribute to one of the most enduring musicals of the 20th century, Leonard Bernstein's West Side Story. Under the baton of conductor William Eddins, the world-renowned New York Philharmonic accompanies the acclaimed young American violinist as he offers new renditions of some of the musical theater's most enduring songs, including "Somewhere," "Tonight," and "Maria," in soaring new arrangements by Tony Award-winning orchestrator William David Brohn. The concert also includes performances of Bernstein's " Lonely Town" and "Glitter and Be Gay" by the Tony-winning sensation Kristin Chenoweth, as well as interviews and documentary footage created exclusively for the telecast. [56 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Information For Teachers
- Grade Levels
- Curricular Areas
- The Arts
- Series Length
- 260 episodes
- Average Episode Length
- 97 minutes
- Record Rights
- Sch/until 3/24/16; ncc; simul. ;7-day cached rights
- Visit the Website for Teacher Resources
Visit the IPTV Education website to access timely, relevant resources for your classroom.
Series Description: GREAT PERFORMANCES, the longest-running performing arts anthology on television, continues to feature the best in the performing arts.
All Upcoming Episodes
These episodes of Great Performances aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Dudamel Conducts a John Williams Celebration With the LA Phil (#4101)
- Driving Miss Daisy (#4007)
- Annie Lennox: Nostalgia Live In Concert (#3914)
- Twilight: Los Angeles (#3710)
- Boston Symphony Orchestra: Andris Nelsons' Inaugural Concert (#4006)
- Mark Morris Dance Group: L'Allegro (#4005)
- Bryan Adams In Concert (#3911)
- La Dolce Vita: The Music of Italian Cinema (#3913)