"The Merry Widow" from the San Francisco Opera (#2804)
In a Parisian whirl of elegant ladies, eligible bachelors, Maxim's can-can dancers and ever-flowing champagne, Franz Lehar's The Merry Widow has long delighted audiences with its effervescent tale of suitors seeking the coveted hand of wealthy widow Hanna Glawari. Now Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Wendy Wasserstein applies her comedic brilliance to new dialogue for Lehar's musical favorite. This charming English-language production from the San Francisco Opera features an internationally acclaimed cast, including Yvonne Kenny, Bo Skovhus, Angelika Kirchschlager and Gregory Turay. The production is directed for the stage by Lotfi Mansouri and features heralded Cincinnati Pops maestro Erich Kunzel making his debut as guest conductor. [146 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Information For Teachers
- Grade Levels
- Curricular Areas
- The Arts
- Series Length
- 261 episodes
- Average Episode Length
- 97 minutes
- Record Rights
- Record and retain for 1 year from each broadcast. No duplication allowed.
- Visit the Website for Teacher Resources
Visit the IPTV Education website to access timely, relevant resources for your classroom.
Series Description: GREAT PERFORMANCES, the longest-running performing arts anthology on television, continues to feature the best in the performing arts.
All Upcoming Episodes
These episodes of Great Performances aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Dudamel Conducts a John Williams Celebration With the LA Phil (#4101)
- Driving Miss Daisy (#4007)
- Annie Lennox: Nostalgia Live In Concert (#3914)
- Twilight: Los Angeles (#3710)
- Boston Symphony Orchestra: Andris Nelsons' Inaugural Concert (#4006)