Dance In America: Lar Lubovitch's "Othello" from San Francisco Ballet (#2811)
Modern dance master Lar Lubovitch has created a vibrant new interpretation of Shakespeare's classic tale of passion and jealousy, ambition and betrayal, with his dance in three acts, "Othello." A synthesis of classical and modern movement, Lubovitch's original choreography is complemented by a powerful score by Academy Award-winning composer Elliot Goldenthal, heightening the emotional volatility of the central characters as the ballet's tragedy unfolds. Desmond Richardson, one of America's premiere dance talents, performs in San Francisco Ballet's production as Othello, with Yuan Yuan Tan as Desdemona and Parrish Maynard as the treacherous Iago. Extraordinary sets by George Tsypin, projections by Wendall K. Harrington and costumes by Ann Hould-Ward complete a production that the San Francisco Chronicle hailed as "a major new chapter in American ballet as well as a spectacular addition to the international repertory." [86 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Information For Teachers
- Grade Levels
- Curricular Areas
- The Arts
- Series Length
- 261 episodes
- Average Episode Length
- 97 minutes
- Record Rights
- Record and retain for 1 year from each broadcast. No duplication allowed.
- Visit the Website for Teacher Resources
Visit the IPTV Education website to access timely, relevant resources for your classroom.
Series Description: GREAT PERFORMANCES, the longest-running performing arts anthology on television, continues to feature the best in the performing arts.
All Upcoming Episodes
- Mon, August 31, 2:00 AM on IPTV
These episodes of Great Performances aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Vienna Philharmonic Summer Night Concert 2015 (#4008)
- Dudamel Conducts a John Williams Celebration With the LA Phil (#4101)
- Driving Miss Daisy (#4007)
- Annie Lennox: Nostalgia Live In Concert (#3914)
- Twilight: Los Angeles (#3710)
- Boston Symphony Orchestra: Andris Nelsons' Inaugural Concert (#4006)