Elton John at the Royal Opera House (#2813)
Rock superstar Elton John has been one of the world's most prolific and successful singer-songwriters since his first Top 10 hit, "Your Song," more than three decades ago. Now, with a recent concert at the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden, John has established the "Elton John Scholarship Fund" at Britain's Royal Academy of Music, where he himself once attended on scholarship. With a 90-piece orchestra, a five-piece electric band and a choir of Royal Academy students conducted by acclaimed film score composer James Newton-Howard, John performs rousing renditions of many of his greatest songs, including "Philadelphia Freedom," "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me," "Burn Down the Mission," and "Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting)." [56 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Information For Teachers
- Grade Levels
- Curricular Areas
- The Arts
- Series Length
- 260 episodes
- Average Episode Length
- 97 minutes
- Record Rights
- Sch/until 3/24/16; ncc; simul. ;7-day cached rights
- Visit the Website for Teacher Resources
Visit the IPTV Education website to access timely, relevant resources for your classroom.
Series Description: GREAT PERFORMANCES, the longest-running performing arts anthology on television, continues to feature the best in the performing arts.
All Upcoming Episodes
These episodes of Great Performances aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Dudamel Conducts a John Williams Celebration With the LA Phil (#4101)
- Driving Miss Daisy (#4007)
- Annie Lennox: Nostalgia Live In Concert (#3914)
- Twilight: Los Angeles (#3710)
- Boston Symphony Orchestra: Andris Nelsons' Inaugural Concert (#4006)
- Mark Morris Dance Group: L'Allegro (#4005)
- Bryan Adams In Concert (#3911)
- La Dolce Vita: The Music of Italian Cinema (#3913)