The Los Angeles Philharmonic Inaugurates Walt Disney Concert Hall (#2901)
The fall of 2003 brings a landmark event in the city of Los Angeles -- the opening of Walt Disney Concert Hall, designed by Frank Gehry. America's newest cultural icon and architectural wonder, and a symbol of renewal for downtown L.A., the hall will be the new home of the Los Angeles Philharmonic. GREAT PERFORMANCES showcases highlights from three consecutive evenings of gala performances comprising the grand opening of Walt Disney Concert Hall, with Music Director Esa-Pekka Salonen leading Stravinsky's Le Sacre du Printemps (Rite of Spring), as well as works by Haydn, Ives and John Adams. With special guest Audra McDonald and others, the program also features highlights from the rich tradition of symphonic music in Hollywood cinema, under the baton of composer and conductor John Williams. [86 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Information For Teachers
- Grade Levels
- Curricular Areas
- The Arts
- Series Length
- 261 episodes
- Average Episode Length
- 97 minutes
- Record Rights
- Sch/until 3/24/16; ncc; simul. ;7-day cached rights
- Visit the Website for Teacher Resources
Visit the IPTV Education website to access timely, relevant resources for your classroom.
Series Description: GREAT PERFORMANCES, the longest-running performing arts anthology on television, continues to feature the best in the performing arts.
All Upcoming Episodes
There are no broadcasts currently planned. Please check back for future broadcast dates.
These episodes of Great Performances aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Dudamel Conducts a John Williams Celebration With the LA Phil (#4101)
- Vienna Philharmonic Summer Night Concert 2015 (#4008)
- Driving Miss Daisy (#4007)
- Annie Lennox: Nostalgia Live In Concert (#3914)
- Twilight: Los Angeles (#3710)
- Boston Symphony Orchestra: Andris Nelsons' Inaugural Concert (#4006)