The Los Angeles Philharmonic Inaugurates Walt Disney Concert Hall (#2901)
The fall of 2003 brings a landmark event in the city of Los Angeles -- the opening of Walt Disney Concert Hall, designed by Frank Gehry. America's newest cultural icon and architectural wonder, and a symbol of renewal for downtown L.A., the hall will be the new home of the Los Angeles Philharmonic. GREAT PERFORMANCES showcases highlights from three consecutive evenings of gala performances comprising the grand opening of Walt Disney Concert Hall, with Music Director Esa-Pekka Salonen leading Stravinsky's Le Sacre du Printemps (Rite of Spring), as well as works by Haydn, Ives and John Adams. With special guest Audra McDonald and others, the program also features highlights from the rich tradition of symphonic music in Hollywood cinema, under the baton of composer and conductor John Williams. [86 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Information For Teachers
- Grade Levels
- Curricular Areas
- The Arts
- Series Length
- 263 episodes
- Average Episode Length
- 97 minutes
- Record Rights
- Record and retain for 1 year from each broadcast. No duplication allowed.
- Visit the Website for Teacher Resources
Visit the IPTV Education website to access timely, relevant resources for your classroom.
Series Description: GREAT PERFORMANCES, the longest-running performing arts anthology on television, continues to feature the best in the performing arts.
All Upcoming Episodes
- Mon, November 30, 8:00 PM on IPTV
These episodes of Great Performances aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga: Cheek to Cheek Live! (#3910)
- Chita Rivera: A Lot of Livin' to Do (#4009)
- Billy Elliot: The Musical Live (#3915)
- Dudamel Conducts a John Williams Celebration With the LA Phil (#4101)
- Vienna Philharmonic Summer Night Concert 2015 (#4008)
- Driving Miss Daisy (#4007)
- Annie Lennox: Nostalgia Live In Concert (#3914)