Rodgers & Hammerstein's Oklahoma! (#2902)
Still "doin' fine" after 60 years, Rodgers & Hammerstein's landmark American musical "Oklahoma!" is reborn in this film version of the Royal National Theatre of Great Britain's award-winning production. Directed by Trevor Nunn and choreographed by Susan Stroman, this acclaimed production set box office records during its run in London, and again on Broadway, with critics and audiences alike captivated by its fresh new take on a venerable classic. Luckily for television audiences, the magic of the original London cast was captured in a deluxe film adaptation just prior to the show's move from the RNT to the West End, including a sensational, star-making performance by "X-Man" Hugh Jackman as Curly. Also featured are original cast members Josefina Gabrielle as Laurey, Maureen Lipman ("The Pianist") as Aunt Eller, and 2002 Best Supporting Actor Tony-winner Shuler Hensley as the menacing yet hauntingly sympathetic Jud Fry. [182 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Information For Teachers
- Grade Levels
- Curricular Areas
- The Arts
- Series Length
- 262 episodes
- Average Episode Length
- 97 minutes
- Record Rights
- Sch/until 3/24/16; ncc; simul. ;7-day cached rights
- Visit the Website for Teacher Resources
Visit the IPTV Education website to access timely, relevant resources for your classroom.
Series Description: GREAT PERFORMANCES, the longest-running performing arts anthology on television, continues to feature the best in the performing arts.
All Upcoming Episodes
These episodes of Great Performances aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Dudamel Conducts a John Williams Celebration With the LA Phil (#4101)
- Vienna Philharmonic Summer Night Concert 2015 (#4008)
- Driving Miss Daisy (#4007)
- Annie Lennox: Nostalgia Live In Concert (#3914)
- Twilight: Los Angeles (#3710)
- Boston Symphony Orchestra: Andris Nelsons' Inaugural Concert (#4006)