From Vienna: The New Year's Celebration 2004 (#2905)
Continuing its holiday tradition, GREAT PERFORMANCES returns to the stately splendor of Vienna's Musikverein for the 23rd annual broadcast of the Vienna Philharmonic's New Year's Day celebration, hosted by Walter Cronkite. Zubin Mehta will lead the renowned orchestra in a selection of buoyant Strauss Family waltzes, including the "Dynamiden," by Joseph Strauss, and timeless favorite, the "Blue Danube," by his brother, Johann. Also featured are festive ballets danced by the Vienna State Opera Ballet, with choreography by Christian Tichy and costumes by Christof Cremer. [86 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Information For Teachers
- Grade Levels
- Curricular Areas
- The Arts
- Series Length
- 261 episodes
- Average Episode Length
- 97 minutes
- Record Rights
- Sch/until 3/24/16; ncc; simul. ;7-day cached rights
- Visit the Website for Teacher Resources
Visit the IPTV Education website to access timely, relevant resources for your classroom.
Series Description: GREAT PERFORMANCES, the longest-running performing arts anthology on television, continues to feature the best in the performing arts.
All Upcoming Episodes
There are no broadcasts currently planned. Please check back for future broadcast dates.
These episodes of Great Performances aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Dudamel Conducts a John Williams Celebration With the LA Phil (#4101)
- Vienna Philharmonic Summer Night Concert 2015 (#4008)
- Driving Miss Daisy (#4007)
- Annie Lennox: Nostalgia Live In Concert (#3914)
- Twilight: Los Angeles (#3710)
- Boston Symphony Orchestra: Andris Nelsons' Inaugural Concert (#4006)