Degas and the Dance (#2906)
No artist has ever been more closely associated with images of ballet dancers than French Impressionist Edgar Degas. Degas' obsession with color, movement, and lithe bodies of ballerinas fuel Degas and the Dance, a film examining his art and inspiration deriving from dance. Best known as "the painter of dancers," Degas captures the human figure in all its various modes with a choreographic eye. The works generally focuses on a single dancer rather than the spectacle on the stage. The telecast showcases the exhibition from which it is based, as well as re-creations of Degas' studio with actor Peter Badger portraying the artist. [56 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Information For Teachers
- Grade Levels
- Curricular Areas
- The Arts
- Series Length
- 263 episodes
- Average Episode Length
- 97 minutes
- Record Rights
- Sch/until 3/24/16; ncc; simul. ;7-day cached rights
- Visit the Website for Teacher Resources
Visit the IPTV Education website to access timely, relevant resources for your classroom.
Series Description: GREAT PERFORMANCES, the longest-running performing arts anthology on television, continues to feature the best in the performing arts.
All Upcoming Episodes
- Mon, November 30, 8:00 PM on IPTV
These episodes of Great Performances aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga: Cheek to Cheek Live! (#3910)
- Chita Rivera: A Lot of Livin' to Do (#4009)
- Billy Elliot: The Musical Live (#3915)
- Dudamel Conducts a John Williams Celebration With the LA Phil (#4101)
- Vienna Philharmonic Summer Night Concert 2015 (#4008)
- Driving Miss Daisy (#4007)
- Annie Lennox: Nostalgia Live In Concert (#3914)