Keeping Score: Mtt On Music: The Making of a Performance, Tchaikovsky's 4th Symphony (#2910)
In this behind the scenes documentary, conductor Michael Tilson Thomas takes viewers on a guided tour of one of the towering achievements in classical music, Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 4. Thomas, who describes Tchaikovsky as "one of the great melody writers of all time," explores each of the symphony's four movements, providing insightful commentary on the powerful and vibrant emotions embodied in the composer's music. In addition, we meet individual members of the San Francisco Symphony, who explain the challenges and joys of the music Tchaikovsky penned for their instrument -- including the violin, oboe, bassoon, piccolo, bass and timpani. [86 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Information For Teachers
- Grade Levels
- Curricular Areas
- The Arts
- Series Length
- 261 episodes
- Average Episode Length
- 97 minutes
- Record Rights
- Record and retain for 1 year from each broadcast. No duplication allowed.
- Visit the Website for Teacher Resources
Visit the IPTV Education website to access timely, relevant resources for your classroom.
Series Description: GREAT PERFORMANCES, the longest-running performing arts anthology on television, continues to feature the best in the performing arts.
All Upcoming Episodes
- Mon, August 31, 2:00 AM on IPTV
These episodes of Great Performances aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Vienna Philharmonic Summer Night Concert 2015 (#4008)
- Dudamel Conducts a John Williams Celebration With the LA Phil (#4101)
- Driving Miss Daisy (#4007)
- Annie Lennox: Nostalgia Live In Concert (#3914)
- Twilight: Los Angeles (#3710)
- Boston Symphony Orchestra: Andris Nelsons' Inaugural Concert (#4006)