Keeping Score: Mtt On Music: The Making of a Performance, Tchaikovsky's 4th Symphony (#2910)
In this behind the scenes documentary, conductor Michael Tilson Thomas takes viewers on a guided tour of one of the towering achievements in classical music, Tchaikovsky's Symphony No. 4. Thomas, who describes Tchaikovsky as "one of the great melody writers of all time," explores each of the symphony's four movements, providing insightful commentary on the powerful and vibrant emotions embodied in the composer's music. In addition, we meet individual members of the San Francisco Symphony, who explain the challenges and joys of the music Tchaikovsky penned for their instrument -- including the violin, oboe, bassoon, piccolo, bass and timpani. [86 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Information For Teachers
- Grade Levels
- Curricular Areas
- The Arts
- Series Length
- 263 episodes
- Average Episode Length
- 97 minutes
- Record Rights
- Sch/until 3/24/16; ncc; simul. ;7-day cached rights
- Visit the Website for Teacher Resources
Visit the IPTV Education website to access timely, relevant resources for your classroom.
Series Description: GREAT PERFORMANCES, the longest-running performing arts anthology on television, continues to feature the best in the performing arts.
All Upcoming Episodes
There are no broadcasts currently planned. Please check back for future broadcast dates.
These episodes of Great Performances aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Rodgers and Hammerstein's Oklahoma! (#3902)
- Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga: Cheek to Cheek Live! (#3910)
- Chita Rivera: A Lot of Livin' to Do (#4009)
- Billy Elliot: The Musical Live (#3915)
- Dudamel Conducts a John Williams Celebration With the LA Phil (#4101)
- Vienna Philharmonic Summer Night Concert 2015 (#4008)