Bill Irwin: Clown Prince (#3004)
Actor, playwright, director, choreographer, clown -- the remarkable Bill Irwin defies categorization. Over several decades, Irwin's diverse career has included original works for Broadway, roles in television and film, and his recent season in residence at New York's Signature Theatre Company. Now, "Bill Irwin, Clown Prince" explores how Irwin creates his unique brand of theater with highlights from some of his most groundbreaking and entertaining work. Featured are sequences from the Tony Award-winning productions of Fool Moon and Largely New York, The Regard of Flight, and As Seen On TV; Irwin's role alongside Steve Martin and Robin Williams in Beckett's Waiting for Godot; and Mr. Fox: A Rumination, the story of the rise and fall of George Fox, America's first celebrity clown. Featuring interviews with Williams, Julie Taymor, Brendan Fraser and film critic Richard Schickel, among others, and with a nod to some of the legends that have inspired Irwin, such as Chaplin, Keaton and Lloyd, the program is a feast for Irwin fans and a celebration of the career of one of the most beloved physical comedians working today. [56 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Information For Teachers
- Grade Levels
- Curricular Areas
- The Arts
- Series Length
- 260 episodes
- Average Episode Length
- 97 minutes
- Record Rights
- Record and retain for 1 year from each broadcast. No duplication allowed.
- Visit the Website for Teacher Resources
Visit the IPTV Education website to access timely, relevant resources for your classroom.
Series Description: GREAT PERFORMANCES, the longest-running performing arts anthology on television, continues to feature the best in the performing arts.
All Upcoming Episodes
These episodes of Great Performances aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Dudamel Conducts a John Williams Celebration With the LA Phil (#4101)
- Driving Miss Daisy (#4007)
- Annie Lennox: Nostalgia Live In Concert (#3914)
- Twilight: Los Angeles (#3710)
- Boston Symphony Orchestra: Andris Nelsons' Inaugural Concert (#4006)
- Mark Morris Dance Group: L'Allegro (#4005)
- Bryan Adams In Concert (#3911)
- La Dolce Vita: The Music of Italian Cinema (#3913)