Leonard Bernstein's "Candide" In Concert (#3006)
Broadway and operetta join hands as the New York Philharmonic presents a semi-staged performance of the satirical, effervescent musical Candide by Leonard Bernstein, the composer and conductor who was so intimately associated with the New York Philharmonic. Bernstein protege Marin Alsop will lead the production, and Broadway actor-director Lonny Price will stage the musical, much as he did for the Philharmonic's Emmy Award-winning, semi-staged production of Stephen Sondheim's Sweeney Todd in 2000. The cast, drawn equally from the classical and musical-theater worlds, features soprano Kristin Chenoweth as Cunegonde, tenor Paul Groves as Candide, tenor Stanford Olsen as Governor/Vanderdendur/Ragotski, Patti LuPone as the Old Lady and Sir Thomas Allen as Pangloss/Martin. The Westminster Symphonic Choir, Joseph Flummerfelt, director, will also participate. [114 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Information For Teachers
- Grade Levels
- Curricular Areas
- The Arts
- Series Length
- 261 episodes
- Average Episode Length
- 97 minutes
- Record Rights
- Record and retain for 1 year from each broadcast. No duplication allowed.
- Visit the Website for Teacher Resources
Visit the IPTV Education website to access timely, relevant resources for your classroom.
Series Description: GREAT PERFORMANCES, the longest-running performing arts anthology on television, continues to feature the best in the performing arts.
All Upcoming Episodes
- Mon, August 31, 2:00 AM on IPTV
These episodes of Great Performances aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Vienna Philharmonic Summer Night Concert 2015 (#4008)
- Dudamel Conducts a John Williams Celebration With the LA Phil (#4101)
- Driving Miss Daisy (#4007)
- Annie Lennox: Nostalgia Live In Concert (#3914)
- Twilight: Los Angeles (#3710)
- Boston Symphony Orchestra: Andris Nelsons' Inaugural Concert (#4006)