From Shtetl to Swing (#3013)
Between 1880 and 1924, two and a half million Jews had reached the breaking point. Fleeing persecution in Russia and Eastern Europe, they kissed their small-town "shtetls" goodbye and emigrated to America. America would completely reshape Jewish identity, and Jewish popular entertainment would take 20th-century American music on a joy ride to beat the band. Irving Berlin, George Gershwin, Jerome Kern, Lorenz Hart, Benny Goodman, Al Jolson, the Marx Brothers, Sophie Tucker, Fanny Brice, Molly Picon, Eddie Cantor, Gene Krupa, Harold Arlen, Artie Shaw a these Lower East Side New York City kids all became cultural pioneers, eager to shake off their past yet taking full advantage of their Yiddish musical heritage. What emerged was a cross-pollination of Jewish and African-American musical influences -two traditions born out of exile and longing, both charged with energy and humor, defying all the rules with exciting freedom. Written and directed by Fabienne Rousso-Lenoir, "From Shtetl to Swing" reveals how these musical heritages blossomed into a completely new, diverse musical lexicon that gave voice to the American melting pot. Harvey Fierstein hosts. [56 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Information For Teachers
- Grade Levels
- Curricular Areas
- The Arts
- Series Length
- 262 episodes
- Average Episode Length
- 97 minutes
- Record Rights
- Sch/until 3/24/16; ncc; simul. ;7-day cached rights
- Visit the Website for Teacher Resources
Visit the IPTV Education website to access timely, relevant resources for your classroom.
Series Description: GREAT PERFORMANCES, the longest-running performing arts anthology on television, continues to feature the best in the performing arts.
All Upcoming Episodes
Billy Elliot The Musical Live (#3915)
- Fri, October 23, 8:30 PM on IPTV
- Fri, November 6, 8:30 PM on IPTV
- Fri, November 6, 9:30 PM on IPTV
- Mon, November 30, 8:00 PM on IPTV
These episodes of Great Performances aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Dudamel Conducts a John Williams Celebration With the LA Phil (#4101)
- Vienna Philharmonic Summer Night Concert 2015 (#4008)
- Driving Miss Daisy (#4007)
- Annie Lennox: Nostalgia Live In Concert (#3914)
- Twilight: Los Angeles (#3710)
- Boston Symphony Orchestra: Andris Nelsons' Inaugural Concert (#4006)