The Nightingale (#3103)
Igor Stravinsky's adaptation of Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tale has been produced for television in an extraordinary animated interpretation by filmmaker Christian Chaudet. Stravinsky's score, inspired by Andersen's tale of a Chinese emperor enraptured with the beautiful singing of his treasured nightingale, comes to life as never before in a vibrant explosion of live performance and computer animation. With the orchestra and choir of the Opera National de Paris under the direction of James Conlon, the production features the on-screen performances of Natalie Dessay and Laurent Naouri seamlessly interwoven with Chaudet's dazzling visual effects. [54 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Information For Teachers
- Grade Levels
- Curricular Areas
- The Arts
- Series Length
- 263 episodes
- Average Episode Length
- 97 minutes
- Record Rights
- Sch/until 3/24/16; ncc; simul. ;7-day cached rights
- Visit the Website for Teacher Resources
Visit the IPTV Education website to access timely, relevant resources for your classroom.
Series Description: GREAT PERFORMANCES, the longest-running performing arts anthology on television, continues to feature the best in the performing arts.
All Upcoming Episodes
- Mon, November 30, 8:00 PM on IPTV
These episodes of Great Performances aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga: Cheek to Cheek Live! (#3910)
- Chita Rivera: A Lot of Livin' to Do (#4009)
- Billy Elliot: The Musical Live (#3915)
- Dudamel Conducts a John Williams Celebration With the LA Phil (#4101)
- Vienna Philharmonic Summer Night Concert 2015 (#4008)
- Driving Miss Daisy (#4007)
- Annie Lennox: Nostalgia Live In Concert (#3914)