Dance in America: Beyond the Steps: Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre (#3108)
DANCE IN AMERICA follows the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater during a pivotal period in its history, one that has the company venturing abroad as well as establishing new roots at home. The documentary marks a moment of both growth and reflection, as the troupe travels to Russia after an absence of nearly 20 years, moves into a state-of-the-art custom facility, called by The New York Times "the largest in the country devoted exclusively to dance," and creates a new ballet entitled Love Stories, choreographed by longtime AAADT artistic director Judith Jamison in collaboration with hip-hop pioneer Rennie Harris and modern dance maverick Robert Battle. Under the steadfast leadership of Jamison, the making of a new dance and a new home serve as symbols of the remarkable foundation that Ailey built, and of the vibrancy that defines the company today. Directed by filmmaker Phil Bertelsen, "Beyond the Steps: Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater" tells the story of what it takes to keep dance modern, art relevant and a legacy alive. [56 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Information For Teachers
- Grade Levels
- Curricular Areas
- The Arts
- Series Length
- 260 episodes
- Average Episode Length
- 97 minutes
- Record Rights
- Sch/until 3/24/16; ncc; simul. ;7-day cached rights
- Visit the Website for Teacher Resources
Visit the IPTV Education website to access timely, relevant resources for your classroom.
Series Description: GREAT PERFORMANCES, the longest-running performing arts anthology on television, continues to feature the best in the performing arts.
All Upcoming Episodes
These episodes of Great Performances aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Dudamel Conducts a John Williams Celebration With the LA Phil (#4101)
- Driving Miss Daisy (#4007)
- Annie Lennox: Nostalgia Live In Concert (#3914)
- Twilight: Los Angeles (#3710)
- Boston Symphony Orchestra: Andris Nelsons' Inaugural Concert (#4006)
- Mark Morris Dance Group: L'Allegro (#4005)
- Bryan Adams In Concert (#3911)
- La Dolce Vita: The Music of Italian Cinema (#3913)