Secrets of the Dead
What Happened to the Hindenburg?/Cannibalism in the Canyon (#103)
Civilization of legend and lore, a colony of Vikings in Greenland left no clues to their sudden and mysterious disappearance. Or did they? On a desolate coast of Greenland, an international team of archaeologists, forensic anthropologists, entomologists, and botanists sets out to investigate minute clues in a complex chain of events that may have led to the demise of a Viking colony. Unearthing the ruins of a settlement that included a cathedral complete with stained glass, the scientists carefully identify and date the vestiges of the Viking society. Among their discoveries are a mini Ice Age, a war with neighboring Inuits, and a religious order that may have doomed the Vikings to obsolescence. [56 minutes]
This episode has not aired in the past few months on Iowa Public Television.
Full Program: THIRTEEN Recounts Walter Cronkite’s Iconic News Coverage of the JFK Assassination 00:00
Fifty years after the tragic shooting of President John F. Kennedy, Secrets of the Dead chronicles minute-by-minute... 00:31
Full Program: Watch the full episode of Secrets of the Dead: Ultimate Tut. 00:00
In Ultimate Tut, a special two-part Secrets of the Dead, airing Wednesday, July 10, 8-10 pm on PBS (check local... 00:31
The film presents a convincing collection of evidence that suggests an amateur archaeologist discovered the leader's... 00:31
- Watch more video from this program »
Information For Teachers
- Grade Levels
- Curricular Areas
- Social Studies
- Series Length
- 73 episodes
- Average Episode Length
- 59 minutes
- Record Rights
- Record and retain for 1 year from each broadcast. No duplication allowed.
- Visit the Website for Teacher Resources
Visit the IPTV Education website to access timely, relevant resources for your classroom.
Series Description: Part detective story, part true-life drama, SECRETS OF THE DEAD unearths evidence from around the world, challenging prevailing ideas and throwing fresh light on unexplained events. Using the most up-to-date science in the laboratory and in the field, scientists and researchers examine the missing pieces of each puzzle, completing the picture of what had been merely an assemblage of suppositions.
All Upcoming Episodes
Ben Franklin's Bones (#1401)
These episodes of Secrets of the Dead aired in the last few months on Iowa Public Television.
- Death on the Railroad (#1203)
- China's Terracotta Warriors (#1103)
- Lost in the Amazon (#1102)
- Lost Ships of Rome (#1101)
- JFK: One PM Central Standard Time (#1301)
- Cavemen Cold Case (#1204)
- Bugging Hitler's Soldiers (#1202)
- Slave Ship Mutiny (#1004)
- The Lost Diary of Dr. Livingstone (#1302)
- The Silver Pharaoh (#1003)
- Resurrecting Richard III (#1306)
- The Man Who Saved the World (#1201)
- The Lost Gardens of Babylon (#1304)
- The World's Biggest Bomb (#1104)